ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Mini-Discus.. aka Balloon Rams

Default The new Mini-Discus.. aka Balloon Rams

I know they aren't new but I have seen more and more Balloon Rams being sold. Basically all color forms of rams are now availible as balloon rams. These rams if you aren't familar with them are bred to have a taller body height and shorter length. Its gives them a very round appearance and is vaguely reminescent of a runted discus.

Images google search "Balloon Ram"

Screenshot_20240412_083210.jpg

Screenshot_20240412_083110.jpg

I have read that they are sickly, weak and susceptible to health issues ... I dont particularly like the strain but I doubt the health claims just based on the sheer numbers that are out there now. All of the ones I have seen in petshops have been very healthy looking. I suspect its similar to how we feel about mishapen stunted discus that they are labeled as weak and disease susceptible.

I have zero interest in owning one as I prefer the more natural form of rams. I am also not knocking anyone that does like them. Your tank.. do with it as you see fit.

I just thought as I was looking at pictures of them that with more breeding and refinement they very well could be the next "Discus" yet one suited for small tanks. That would be a very attractive selling point for some.

Yes I know its not something discus keepers may recognize as a viable thing.. but if you are space limited.. who knows.

Thoughts ?
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: The new Mini-Discus.. aka Balloon Rams

They look like culls to me. JMHO

Real Name
    Frank

I agree with both assessments from above. Culls, unattractive.

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve had them. They are very short lived. 4-6 months. Look great than dead. Many threads on them being sick on fishlore. All the same story. Look great now dead. Never read of a long lived version. But like glo fish they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’ve had them. They are very short lived. 4-6 months. Look great than dead. Many threads on them being sick on fishlore. All the same story. Look great now dead. Never read of a long lived version. But like glo fish they sell.

Devils advocate here. If the normal life expectancy of a Ram is. 2 years and whats being sold in Petshops are fullgrown adults which I suspect are slow growers is 6 months life expectancy really unexpected? Im pretty sure most imported Rams with normal bodies have similar expectancy when bought as full grown. Of note also is that probably 99.99% of balloon rams are imported and 99.99 %of those that buy them do not quarantine.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-12-2024 at 09:28 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Frank and Gary, They look culls? CULL discus ? seriously though.. Your opinions are welcome. I knew full well these would not be everyones cup of tea. I don't think they are culls.. more like highly modified with a goal in mind and targeting a certain nich. Business wise..brilliant same as glo fish.
    .. I don't like either btw visually.

I should note, again playing the devil here...that there are many cichlid keepers that disparage our domestic discus as well. Seems they think they are ugly hybrids that diverge from the beauty of wilds. .. which is of course Non-sense to most of us here.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Mervin

I'm not a fan, being that it is a genetic deformity that curves the spine and compacts the organs. I've read that it could be painful, but not so sure about that.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, not a fan personally but then I'm not a fan of the goldfish which can barely swim due to the round size of the body. I wonder of the spine is shorten to get the round appearance? Like done with the bulldog discus?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat funny you mentioned the bulldog. Those to me are just not my cup of tea either. . I remember a few threads when they first came out that got rather heated..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I'm not a fan, being that it is a genetic deformity that curves the spine and compacts the organs. I've read that it could be painful, but not so sure about that.
    I have a real problem with breeding anything that would cause it pain and discomfort. Theres a breed of hens that are called Cornish Cross that most of us eat without knowing it..but they are bred to grow so fast and big that they can barely move. It bothers me alot that we do this..but it at least serves a purpose. Still I am a believer of humane treatment of critters .

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Mervin

Yes Al, we eat a lot of cruel raised food; same goes with veal, Foie gras (duck liver) and others. Agree with the bulldog discus comment. I'd hate to buy discus that look normal then find out that it had a bulldog gene and threw it to it's off spring.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I remember a time when bulldog discus were showing up in many shipments and many discus were showing bulldog traits. Thank goodness that not last too long.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I don't like them, too unnatural looking. Reminds me of weird goldfish mutations that people like but looks deformed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm995 View Post
    I don't like them, too unnatural looking. Reminds me of weird goldfish mutations that people like but looks deformed to me.
    And that is why they are a thing. People like them... not us people but them other people.

I don't care for the shape or what it signifies in terms of breeding but I do wish there was a way to know if what Mervin posted was true.

deformity that curves the spine and compacts the organs. I've read that it could be painful
    .. I have seen that before posted. Also that it shortens their life and makes them prone to illness. .. all of which maybe 100% true... or completely unfounded.

There is definitely a knee jerk reaction we have when we see fish that have been overly modified. Everyone has a different level of whats acceptable or not. Its much I think like some of the forms of cats and dogs that are bred. Some of which really do cause significant issues for the animal but they are "cute"

I highly doubt balloon fish are going away..they have become if anything more common. Sad as it is to some hobbyists. But a bright light maybe that these have an uncanny ability to appeal to kids and inexperienced keepers as "cute".. which may act as a gateway drug to get new hobbyists into fish keeping. This benefits all of us in the long run.

If I had the space..I might be tempted to set up a tank and see first hand what the deal is with Balloon Rams. But I don't. I already have Black,Gold,dutch, and wild rams I am breeding and I have my sights set on Electric Blues next. Balloon Rams as ethically questionable as they are just don't rate for a tank.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-12-2024 at 12:45 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I have a real problem with breeding anything that would cause it pain and discomfort. Theres a breed of hens that are called Cornish Cross that most of us eat without knowing it..but they are bred to grow so fast and big that they can barely move. It bothers me alot that we do this..but it at least serves a purpose. Still I am a believer of humane treatment of critters .
    I've raised quite a few cornish crosses for meat, I think it's more about management than anything. Of course the factory chicken farms are free feeding them, they grow huge... basically outgrow their skeletal structure. I raised mine in a chicken tractor, fresh grass every day and feed only an amount that they consume. They basically force feed themselves. They will not stop if there's feed. Mine would also get very big, but it would take a couple weeks longer than the factory methods. ~8 weeks instead of 5 or 6.

Anyway, just to say that I think there's a place for efficiency in the world of raising things we eat. Chickens wouldn't be a major protein source if it weren't for the cornish cross. It'd probably be rabbits or something else.

All that said... I have no desire to have a balloon fish of any sort and the bulldog discus look terrible. Same with the half black ones that look like they've sustained nerve damage. I think people are finding inventive ways to sell things they otherwise would have to dispose of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast