ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristlenose pleco breeding

Default Bristlenose pleco breeding

Hi all,
    I have been breeding a pair of albino bristlenose now for a few months. I have a great system in place. The pair is in a 10 gal tank. They are quite happy and have spawned multiple times. When they do I leave the fry with them a week or two and then move the fry to a 75 gal grow out tank. This works great for me. But. its also a pita to move the pleco fry. I was thinking of relocating the pair to the 75 gal. It would be a heck of alot easier. The 75 gal is just for the bristlenose and has a few mystery snails an⁰d a bunch of female endler live bearers.

Do you think I am asking for trouble with the pair? Ive had males fight before and even barber other males but all the bristlenose are juveniles and will be sold long before adult.. Im also wondering if having all those juveniles there will turn the pair off from breeding.

Whats everyones thoughts here and experiences.

20240403_094039.jpg

20240403_094045.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-03-2024 at 09:57 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Bristlenose pleco breeding

Can't help you with this one. I just tossed a few into a gravel bottom 46g bow front and a few months later I had about 250 of the little suckers. I do know that Jack T keeps all the fry in a floating container so they're easier to feed, collect and segregate. I don't know how he catches them in the first place.

He gave brought me some new additions last week, including some calico's, Green Dragons and Super Reds. Looking forward to growing them out...

bristlenose 7.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-03-2024 at 10:11 AM.

As long as the males are not adults you would be OK. I found the the best way to do this is just as you are doing. I sold to many to count using the same system. I kept a pair of adults on each 75 gallon community tank and they had one cave were they laid the eggs. The male stayed with them until the can fend for themselves but before that i would grab the cave and shake the fry out into the grow out tank. Then return the male to the community tank. I happens that the male will not drop out of the cave even if his life depended on it. I was delivering 50 at a shot to 2 different LFS. I got tired of cleaning the ABN tank so I stopped breeding them they poop like crazy. They mess my 90 now that I have the pair and a bunch of juvies in there.

Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-03-2024 at 10:31 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

They love you worms Al
    If they were to young I put them in a hanging breather box for a a week or two.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-03-2024 at 11:02 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

Al what I use to move the babies is a 1” hose. Suck them out like removing gravel. Only quick way to do it. Also works with shrimp. My problem is I can’t get rid of them! Nobody wants them. I’ve put them up on Facebook for free. Many want nobody shows. I’ve just give them to a local place for nothing. Still have about 30+. Now always looking for eggs to get rid of them. Plan on give away most of what I have.

In the breeder box. The trick is to get them before they leave the cave. Usually I will see a few that got out and are on the top of the aquarium so that's a sign to move them over.

20220803_181535.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-03-2024 at 12:09 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Chuck.. the tank the pair is in is inches off the ground. I never catch them in the cave lol.. its always walk by the tank and see babies everywhere. What I usually do then is move the pair to another tank.. drain the tank with babies to an inch or so and dump them in to the 75 gal tank.

Tom, might have to try the 1" hose i tried 1/2 " but it was to damaging to them. Odd no one wants them there I have a craigs list ad up and. Ive sold quite a few and traded for stuff..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Willie

It's mostly about access to the fry. My best set up was to throw a few adults into a 40 breeder with some caves. When it's time to pull fry, just drain the tank completely. You can easily pick out the fry before refilling the tank. They're so messy that the tank needed large water changes anyway. If your 75 is high up, then reaching in to pick out the fry could be a problem.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol didn’t think Craig’s list was still around. You’re allowed to sell animals there?
    I put them up on a local Facebook site. The pet stores here sell them for under $5. Can’t imagine anyone traveling to pick them up. I’ve had as many as 10 people say they were coming and never show. I use to move plant on fishlore. Used to give them away. But now just the shipping costs more than the stores are charging.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Chuck.. the tank the pair is in is inches off the ground. I never catch them in the cave lol.. its always walk by the tank and see babies everywhere. What I usually do then is move the pair to another tank.. drain the tank with babies to an inch or so and dump them in to the 75 gal tank.

Tom, might have to try the 1" hose i tried 1/2 " but it was to damaging to them. Odd no one wants them there I have a craigs list ad up and. Ive sold quite a few and traded for stuff..
    I keep an eye when I see the male stuck all the way in the cave. With a flashlight I can see the back of the cave.

20240222_160845.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Lol didn’t think Craig’s list was still around. You’re allowed to sell animals there?
    I put them up on a local Facebook site. The pet stores here sell them for under $5. Can’t imagine anyone traveling to pick them up. I’ve had as many as 10 people say they were coming and never show. I use to move plant on fishlore. Used to give them away. But now just the shipping costs more than the stores are charging.
    Im not selling them.on craigslist.. Im rehoming them.
    Tank raised aquarium fish..Bristlenose albino pleco. Short tail. Hobby bred rehome $4 each. Meet locally.

Why risk sick petshop fish? These are healthy young plecos looking for a new home.
    I also rehome Axolotls there and Endler guppies. ..and discus when I have them.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I was getting $4 credit in one and $3 credit on the other LFS. That bought me a lot of frozen fish food and other items that I needed.

Caught in the act.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Willie

I breed long fin blue eye lemons and long fin super reds. Our local fish club holds 5 - 6 auctions and 1 - 2 swap meets annually and these always sell out.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Brian

Willie, do you ship?

Just what I was wondering...
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast