ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sterbai Cory Breeding

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Sterbai Cory Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    So when are going to start shipping?
    Are the quotes for UPS overnight that I see on the website accurate? A fairly small three pound box is like $100? If that's the case, not much shipping will be occuring from me!
    I did buy some thick bags and heat packs. I'm willing to give it a shot if it can be done somewhat economically. Liz is going to be the first guinea pig for me, so we'll see how that goes. I do need to free up some space.

Real Name
    Jacob

I also need to find an outlet for about 60 CPDs. I think those are pretty good sellers, so maybe a LFS would want some.

Good news. First off, it's the buyer who pays for the shipping costs. Secondly, there are many ways to get steep discounts on shipping. I do my shipping through PayPal. My discount is often over 50%. You will need a printer because the invoice must be scannable by UPS.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Good news. First off, it's the buyer who pays for the shipping costs. Secondly, there are many ways to get steep discounts on shipping. I do my shipping through PayPal. My discount is often over 50%. You will need a printer because the invoice must be scannable by UPS.
    I'll have to look into doing it through PayPal, but that seems like a good discount. Regarding buying paying, I suppose that's true depending on the circumstances.
    Printers are such a pain in the rump anymore. 20 years ago you could buy a printer and it would run for a 10 years. Now you're lucky if they last 10 months.

I can send the supplies needed to pack and ship. Bags, rubber bands,heat pad and Box for shipping to me. I sometimes re use the boxes I get from other suppliers or make my own like Liz. Like he said no pressure. Plus you would need oxygen unless you use breather bags, i have some also. Those are smaller easy for heat seal tight on rubber bands.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 03-12-2024 at 03:32 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I'll have to look into doing it through PayPal, but that seems like a good discount. Regarding buying paying, I suppose that's true depending on the circumstances.
    Printers are such a pain in the rump anymore. 20 years ago you could buy a printer and it would run for a 10 years. Now you're lucky if they last 10 months.
    That's what I use ShipStation it a lot cheaper and that's the way to go, but invoicing they report for tax. You can make a strait out label and pay with paypal and It's free service. If you get ship station outside of paypal then you pay for the service. I got a Brother black and white laser printer for less than $90 and I replaced the toner 3 years later the original half toner and I am on my second toner i have had that printer for 6 + years. Just get the basics the color sucks unless you use it a lot and then the cartridges are very expensive.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 03-12-2024 at 03:33 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Jacob,
    Also shipping fish you can send far less water than you might think you need.

Liz mentioned Paypal.. which is a good option. I use pirateship.com which I really like alot.. i have found very responsive to any questions or issues.

Oxygen can be bought now in the can....

Screenshot_20240312_153138.jpg

For the occassional shipment its not a bad idea.. I tested these out with axolotls and they worked well.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-12-2024 at 03:35 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jacob,
    Also shipping fish you can send far less water than you might think you need.

Liz mentioned Paypal.. which is a good option. I use pirateship.com which I really like alot.. i have found very responsive to any questions or issues.

Oxygen can be bought now in the can....

Screenshot_20240312_153138.jpg

For the occassional shipment its not a bad idea.. I tested these out with axolotls and they worked well.
    That's what I used in the beginning Al and know I have this you can get at any hardware store.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 154517.png Screenshot 2024-03-12 154639.png
    Just Call Me Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    She is correct at least 50% less.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    That's what I used in the beginning Al and know I have this you can get at any hardware store.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 154517.png Screenshot 2024-03-12 154639.png
    Good to know Chuck.. I dont ever plan on shipping like I used to so no need for a huge refillable tank like I used to have here but that I can certainly find room for.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I was difficult to find in the pandemic but I see everybody has it in stock. I picked the bottle up from Ace and the nozzle from Amazon for about 50 bucks but the have cheaper.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 03-12-2024 at 05:16 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Jacob

Thanks for the info, everyone. I feel like the breather bags would be easy for a cory to puncture with their fins. But maybe not.

Al, yes, I know it doesn't take very much water. I've actually bought some of the supplies and do have some boxes saved up. But I don't buy a ton of fish shipped.

Sterbai also can release a toxin when stressed which kind of complicates things. I think I'd ship them two to a bag to help prevent that, but if someone has more experience with shipping I'm obviously all ears! I haven't completely geared up for it. I'm still enjoying my big pile of sterbai for the moment.

I hadn't thought about the oxygen cylinders, Chuck, that's a good idea. They're $18 at my local Ace Hardware.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 03-12-2024 at 04:45 PM.

In the past 15 years, I've only had to buy 2 printers. I bought the second one because the driver on the old one was no longer being updated. I Google, "Easy cheap printer". The one I have doesn't scan, and only prints in black and white, but that's all I need. What annoys me, though is that even this easy-peasy printer needs to be connected to the internet.
    Mama Bear

I can send you some shipping supplies, too. Among other stuff, I have some 4 mil 4" bags that I think you will find useful. I wouldn't bother with O2 for plecos, but if you want to use it , I understand that they make it in a can these days.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

We barely print anything. But my wife is a music teacher so at times she has needed to print things fairly frequently. But they just never last. Even if we buy a pricier one. It's probably not worth trying to resurrect our existing one, but if not I'll pick up some cheap one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast