ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I HATE this tank.

Default Re: I HATE this tank.

Very cool Jacob!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Registered Member

Ahh! Glad to see they’re doing well! Also, hilarious title!

Real Name
    Tom

Looking good! How are the Cory’s doing?

Real Name
    Jacob

Here's the oldest batch of sterbai. I think I've learned a lot and was overfeeding early on and lost quite a few of these. They're VERY orange. I also have a second batch from a smaller spawn with about 10 or so in them.

image.jpeg.b3182a306413a3d740c2442905bda110.jpg

The CPDs have mostly progressed to the "wall clinging stage". This will be a real test because I am LOUSY at feeding these fry without OVERfeeding them in the past. Hopefully I can keep it on the rails. There's about 30 of them. I messed with settings a lot so you can almost make them out.

image.jpeg.52ad3829434413c93dd113a5bc75fc9e.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob

Real Name
    Jacob

These are the CPD fry, they're growing, but day-to-day it's tough to tell. They just look like eye balls floating around for so long.

20231215_061229.jpg.33be266b3b38bb308bc64e13fd8c4170.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob

Left to right: about 35 freshly hatched CPDs, about 35 CPDs about 12 days post hatch, and about 35 sterbai from two separate spawns but close enough the smaller ones can't be eaten

image.jpeg.0fab22109dff4bc6e60f1323ede9d883.jpg

Thats really cool Jacob. You have a nice little setup there.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

The first batch of fry have moved out of the system and into a grow out tank.

20240106_194301.jpg.944e0cb928ceb38efd5aecfd53c24493.jpg

The most convenient place to drop my adult corys was into the bottom of this tank temporarily and today they laid 25 eggs for me.

image.jpeg.384976191249fbf23d0128714b3e4d6b.jpg

Would be cool if they do that a few days in a row.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jacob, I just walked thru this whole thread and super nice fry rearing station you have here. Do the fry trays sit on the surface of the water in the tank? How do you change the water in the trays? Guessing very carefully.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

I'm gonna take a shot at this one (wrong Jacob - I know). If I recall correctly, I saw something similar set up in Dean's fishroom (Aquarium Co-op video). The trays are resting on the rim of the aquarium via pegs or screws that are covered with a plastic plug on the ends, but the tray itself is submerged in the water. In this post you can make out the screw heads. In that same post, you can see that there is a cutout on the end where a sponge is shoved in along with some tubing above each tray. Fresh water is continually going into the tray via those tubes and out the side of the tray with the sponge. You can make out the water flowing through the tubes in the linked post. I tried finding the aquarium co-op video but can't seem to find it on YouTube. Either my brain isn't functional because of a lack of coffee or it could have been de-listed and placed in their "members only" area.

Jacob - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of your setup. I love seeing this in action, because this system is likely the one I would go with if I were going to raise different types of fry.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Left to right: about 35 freshly hatched CPDs, about 35 CPDs about 12 days post hatch, and about 35 sterbai from two separate spawns but close enough the smaller ones can't be eaten

image.jpeg.0fab22109dff4bc6e60f1323ede9d883.jpg
    What are cpd's?
    Jay

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Jacob, I just walked thru this whole thread and super nice fry rearing station you have here. Do the fry trays sit on the surface of the water in the tank? How do you change the water in the trays? Guessing very carefully.
    Pat
    They sit on top, there's bolts out the back of the trays that hold it level, the trays are in 1.5" of water or so to keep temperature consistent. Overflow slot cut in the back with a sponge in it to keep fry from going out. One of the PVC manifolds is air and one is water. Air is there to break up the film on top of the water. Water provided from down below from a powerhead into the manifold with a valve for each tray to control the flow. So the trays are constantly being flushed.

Overall water changes are just done from down below. I do 75% water change every 2-3 days on the main tank. Vacuum the trays out with a little air tube siphon nightly when feeding fry powder. Once they're on BBS it stays fairly clean because of the water flushing through. Especially with corys. The CPDs are a little bit dirtier because they don't do anything on the bottom to stir it up.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    I'm gonna take a shot at this one (wrong Jacob - I know). If I recall correctly, I saw something similar set up in Dean's fishroom (Aquarium Co-op video). The trays are resting on the rim of the aquarium via pegs or screws that are covered with a plastic plug on the ends, but the tray itself is submerged in the water. In this post you can make out the screw heads. In that same post, you can see that there is a cutout on the end where a sponge is shoved in along with some tubing above each tray. Fresh water is continually going into the tray via those tubes and out the side of the tray with the sponge. You can make out the water flowing through the tubes in the linked post. I tried finding the aquarium co-op video but can't seem to find it on YouTube. Either my brain isn't functional because of a lack of coffee or it could have been de-listed and placed in their "members only" area.

Jacob - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of your setup. I love seeing this in action, because this system is likely the one I would go with if I were going to raise different types of fry.
    You've got it, I thought I mentioned it was a Dean Tweeddale rip of in the original post, but I guess not! The video is "members only". It's shown in a lot of his videos, though. Here's a video with some views of it in his fishroom: https://youtu.be/h_gkvjN0rhw?t=283 - about 4:40 seconds into it. The build is pretty simple. Beats the heck out of hang on boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    What are cpd's?
    Jay
    Celestial Pearl Danios, I think they used to be called Galaxy Rasboras.
    They're about an inch long as adults, fairly skittish, and really hard to take pictures of.

One of my females:
    20230222_170217.jpg.48543498644661fe7360ffc8a24d1fc8.jpg

Some of my males:
    image.jpeg.8dd372b8de0ab4c1eb878dbd0426dc75.jpeg

Question Re: I HATE this tank.

What made you dislike the tank initially, and how do you plan to utilize it now, especially with the successful fry hatching?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast