AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawning of and growing out fry in a 90 gallon

Default Re: Spawning of and growing out fry in a 100 gallon

I moved the eggs to the pitcher of RO with 2 drops of Meth Blue after waiting about 35 minutes post-spawning. There is a bubbler in the pitcher which I took out in order to get a better pic.

The parents have discovered where the eggs although they are not doting on them yet. If all goes right, they will be at the pitcher "fanning" the eggs more and more over the next couple of days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Thanks to all who have wished me luck. Please continue to keep body parts crossed. So far so good, but this is still far from a done deal.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Great story so far Liz and I'm also looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Should be an awesome story!

I guess the next time you want them to spawn, we'll have to start another contest with a cash prize - looks to me like this couple trying hard to win.
    They are competitors, indeed. I had them in a 29 where they had already started flirting before I moved them to the 100. What really amazed me is that they waited until I managed to get the camera's settings right before they got things going in a serious way.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Very nice pair. Whenever i get lucky and have a pair spawn i'm going to try that pitcher with RO idea.

Real Name
    Mervin

Nice discus.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Fingers crossed hopefully you will get a nice hatch rate out of those, keep us posted on this.

Quote Originally Posted by holderman19 View Post
    Very nice pair. Whenever i get lucky and have a pair spawn i'm going to try that pitcher with RO idea.
    Ed, it's no necessary for most folks to use the pitcher method. I only do it this way because after lowering my TDS to 20 I still couldn't get a viable spawn. The pitcher was the only way for me other than using a tank full of RO. I tried that first and I was going through RO filers and membranes so often that I was spending a ton on them.
    Mama Bear

Thanks, Mervin. I'm quite fond of them myself.

Scott here's an update for you. It looks like slightly over 50% of these are fertile which would be OK in a smaller tank, but in a tank this size I need zillions of babies to free-swim and attach to the parents when I turn them loose. Otherwise, they are more likely to get eaten. A good sign is that either dad or mom is guarding the kids at all times. Often both are. But when both are guarding and I go to take a pic, dad turns and tries to kill me again, as in this pic. I'll try for better pics of the eggs later today when I get my other camera back from the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Liz did you say that these spawned in a 100 gallon, if so I hoping you all the luck. Because I would like to be on the list if you get enough to sell, they are a beautiful pair. Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

Liz, Looking good, keep us posted on their progress. Might try lowering the water level when the fry are free swimming.

Cliff

I have a question, once they become wigglers couldn't you just place them back in with the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    I have a question, once they become wigglers couldn't you just place them back in with the parents?
    I tried that once, jimmyjoe, but little by little the wigglers got eaten. I have had better luck when they stayed in the pitcher till they were swimming well.
    Mama Bear

Actually, it's a 90. I have both sizes and I just made a mistake in the title. Still, it's a huge tank, even with the water level reduced to half to raise a bunch of fry in. If I do get enough to sell I'll be advertising them here. I do have some nice looking babies from the same breeding stock ready to go now, though.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Actually, it's a 90. I have both sizes and I just made a mistake in the title. Still, it's a huge tank, even with the water level reduced to half to raise a bunch of fry in. If I do get enough to sell I'll be advertising them here. I do have some nice looking babies from the same breeding stock ready to go now, though.
    Let me see them if you have a chance, I'm very interested in your breeders features, what size are they?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I tried that once, jimmyjoe, but little by little the wigglers got eaten. I have had better luck when they stayed in the pitcher till they were swimming well.
    So you removed the cone then what, fed them what or just BBS and did that suffice?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast