PDA

View Full Version : question on aging water

krislewis3
10-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Id like to start aging my water! How do you guys regulate the temp of the water thats in a collection barrel? Kris

DiscusLoverJeff
10-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Just use a heater that is adjusted to your tank water temp. Make sure the water is tank temp before adding to your fish tank.

Good luck!

krislewis3
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Jeff, With 3 tanks, where do you age your water? You must have a big house!!

Trier20
10-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Just use a heater that is adjusted to your tank water temp. Make sure the water is tank temp before adding to your fish tank.

Good luck!

+1 in the basement is a good place to keep your aging barrels. You could the pump it upstairs or move your tanks down there. Not saying that is the way to do it, but its an idea.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-02-2012, 06:29 AM
I have 3 - 32 gallon barrels I use in the basement. A powerhead and heater in each. All set to about 82 degrees. I keep lids on them to help keep the heat in especially in the colder months. I run a hose from my RO unit to the barrels to fill. No shut off switch yet, still a bit primative right now. Once you get the hang of how long it takes to fill each barrel you will be fine.

Good luck.

krislewis3
10-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Dang it....i don't have a basement!!!! That's what I get for over spending on fish, and underspending on my house, and everything else for that matter! A therapist might say that I have a problem prioritizing! LOL!!!

Keith Perkins
10-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Besides saving heat by having a lid on the barrel, you can also save a lot of heat by having a construction grade piece of foam insulation under the barrels.

Cullymoto
10-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I mounted a toilet tank fill valve assembly to the inside of my storage barrel. although building a pvc "skeleton frame" that sits inside the barrel and has the valve assembly mounted into the pipe frame. leaving the pvc pipe un-capped would allow water into the pvc frame to prevent floatation... a little trial and error would be required to get the valve to the right height.
As far as my setup goes, this valve has been flawless for me. It starts re-filling the tank as soon as I draw water from it, and stops the re-fill once the water level reaches the "bowl" on the valve.
I run a polytube line from my r/o unit to a braided stainless steel "toilet adapter" into the toilet fill valve assembly.

Keith Perkins
10-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Air, Water and Ice also sells a float shut off valve system for their RO units that works very well, and is a lot smaller than toilet tank shut off systems. I'm sure other RO unit companies do as well.

BobDaniel
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Kris, set your water barrels anywhere you have room. I suggest a heater set to the same temp as your aquarium, an air pump w/ airstone to bubble the water from the bottom and help degas it, and a system to pump the water and deliver it to the aquarium. I bought two myself yesterday at Lowes. They had 32 gallon outdoor trash cans with lid on sale for ten bucks each.

Pancho
10-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Kris, set your water barrels anywhere you have room. I suggest a heater set to the same temp as your aquarium, an air pump w/ airstone to bubble the water from the bottom and help degas it, and a system to pump the water and deliver it to the aquarium. I bought two myself yesterday at Lowes. They had 32 gallon outdoor trash cans with lid on sale for ten bucks each.
+1

jimg
10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
almost anywhere... be careful about what gets used in the room near them like laundry,hair spray,other pets etc.

krislewis3
10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Great suggestions....thanks all!!!

bogia99
10-05-2012, 01:27 PM
if $ and space are not an issue then another option to consider: water tote (+200G) for aging water and an on-demand electric water heater (slow flow is a "slow" problem)

I am still doing research on this setup for my future fishroom :)

Larry Bugg
10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Jeff, With 3 tanks, where do you age your water? You must have a big house!!

LOL, with three tanks it would be very easy!! I have two 330 gallon totes and a 44 brute for aging so 700 gallons aging. Lots of people have two to three times that.

a volar
10-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I use one of this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/275-Gallon-Schutz-Totes-Metal-pallet-metal-cage-GOOD-CONDITION-/130774674651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72c72cdb