PDA

View Full Version : Snail Problem

farzadkavari
06-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone, I have been having some snail problems. I believe they are just regular type of snail (black). I currently have 8 discus in my 90 gallon and 1 Corey panda. What is the best way to deal with the snails? Ive been crushing them by hand as I see them but they multiply very fast. Im open to getting some loaches or type of coreys that would eat them. Please advice.

nabilbb
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
1. buy 1 or 2 Clown Loaches (Very Fast) you can see the difference in 1 hour
2. Assassin Snail

Riche_guy
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
2. Assassin Snail

Clown Loaches do work, but make sure you don't feed them for awhile. If you do they will ignore the snails. I had those assassin snails, but they didn`t work much for me...

farzadkavari
06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
2. Assassin Snail

Yes I was thinking of getting some Clow Loaches, but I hear some people they could bother the Discus at times? Is this true? If I get some it will be baby size.

Riche_guy
06-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes I was thinking of getting some Clow Loaches, but I hear some people they could bother the Discus at times? Is this true? If I get some it will be baby size.

No. They have a separate routine..

nabilbb
06-13-2012, 12:38 PM
It is true and not true
They annoy the Discus because they have a fast non stop movement, but they do that they are usualy at one corner of the tank away from the Discus. I had them for many years and the discus were never bothered. also don't get much of them but for example if you 50G 1 or 2 of them should be enough.

Don't get baby size, get about 3 or 4 inches

Lenin
06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Yoyo Loaches

xxbenjamminxx
06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Put in peice of cucumber at lights out and in a few hours go back and remove all the snails that have accumulated on the veges and repeat. Its a good way to get rid of the bulk of them with chems or introducing new fish. Also if your getting more and more snails try cleaning the bottom of the tank better/more often or feed less and that will also limit the amount of them with nothing for them to eat.

korbi_doc
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Wow, I had hundreds of nasty lil' snails that my yoyo loaches couldn't diminish...but the assassins did the trick... Haven't seen any more thank goodness... JME

Dottie

QUOTE=Riche_guy;901885]Clown Loaches do work, but make sure you don't feed them for awhile. If you do they will ignore the snails. I had those assassin snails, but they didn`t work much for me...[/QUOTE]

OCD
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
ugh, snails... the invaders...
i've had them preivously in a community tank and got loaches to try to get rid of them, they did nothing.
now that i have a discus tank, i wanted to avoid the same problem, so when i decided to add plants, I did a salt dip &treatment with Quick cure (formaldahyde/malachite green) before putting in my tank.so far nothing.
i realize that doesn't solve your problem.... but if you ever get rid of them, i would do the above if you ever introduce new plants (that's usually how they get in)

kid discus
06-13-2012, 05:37 PM
i have had this problem a few years ago. i had what seemed like thousands of snails. i got rid of them by using the cucumber method which was already mentioned but that wasnt enough i got rid of everything in the tank that a snail could hide under or lay eggs on. also i was using a canister filter at the time, it seemed as if all the thousands of babies would end up there i would clean the canister media everyday and do 90% water changes everyday as well.

is your tank planted?
what type of filtration are you using?

and if you are adding plants you need to do what OCD mentioned above

good luck p.s i was able to get rid of all the snails in a week or two and i havnt had a problem since hopefully you will be able to do the same

moon_knight1971
06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Here's a trick that seems to work that I got from my lfs. Put food, like cucumber, into a glass jar then submerge it into the tank. The snails will climb into it and then you dispose of them as you wish.

Harry Marsh
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
All of the above was a bandaid for me
I had snail eggs on the assassin snail shells

Loaches were not interested

Take fish to a quarantine tank or bucket

Dump in a gallon of bleach
Snail problem instantly gone

2 or 3 water changes and plenty of dechlorinator...my fish were happy anew

YSS
06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I had several hundreds of snails in my 265G. I also had 10 large clown loaches for a while. I continue to have snails problems for a long time. Then, my loaches started eating the snails and I don't see any snails in my tank, but tons of snail shells all over the tank. But I still to do have a lot of snails in my cannister filters.

JenTN
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Some young bristlenose plecos will eat snails. I have an albino long finned bn that is a snail eating machine. Started with tons, now I have not one. Sucked em right out of their shells. Caught him in the act multiple times, but usually did the work at night.

nc0gnet0
06-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Bleach?

Thats a little extreme. Gets some flubendazole and treat for three days, snails gone and fish are fine. Just make sure to clean all the dead snails out of the tank 2-3x a day during treatment or you will have a huge decaying dead matter problem.

Rick