PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Momma, insight appreciated!

Tobrienne
04-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello everyone!

So I am new to the discus world but I have done a tonne of research so far on the discus. I have a breeder pair they are 4-4.5" and seem to be very affectionate with one another.

I have them, together, in a 20 gallon tank. The heater is on full blast and it's only 82 degrees F in there, however they seem to be quite happy.

I have been feeding them a cowheart/garlic/vitamin concoction that was passed on to me and they don't seem to be interested in it. I've seen them graze here and there and I understand discus are a slower eater than most. However.. my water is disgusting! It's tinted like a murky yellow which I believe to be caused by the beefheart and my living room stinks like scuggy water! I took my net this morning and took out all the excess food that was in there. However it doesn't appear to have changed anything. My pH is a regular 7.6 which, again, they don't seem to mind.

I have only had them for two days so I understand that they need regular water changes. I filled a 5 gallon jug of water and set it out to sit until tomorrow. I tested the pH as soon as it came out of the tap.. it is also 7.6 which is the same as my tank. I added "Prime" to the tank to purify. So I will do a 30% water change on a daily basis to help these two breed. I feed them twice daily, a peice of the beefheart, some tetracolour and I just bought some wardley tropical fish flakes..

They don't seem to go crazy over any of it.

I'm not even sure what I am asking.. just telling you all what I have done so far and any tips would be appreciated. I've read so much off this site.. all of it is based on opinion and what works for you. So far this seems to be working for me.. but I want them to eat something relatively normal (in my opinion) like the tropial fish flakes lol

-Tobrienne

warblad79
04-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Try freeze Dried Blackworms.

shoveltrash
04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
However.. my water is disgusting! It's tinted like a murky yellow which I believe to be caused by the beefheart and my living room stinks like scuggy water!up your water changes!!!!!
that fish in your avatar is lovely :)

and ditto the fdbw

Chicago Discus
04-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Try deworming them and get a better heater that won't be on all the time and get to only 82 degrees. What I do with my breeders is change water daily at least 50% just my opinion........Josie

Tobrienne
04-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Right now my heater maxes out at a 81 degrees.. no amount of turning on my part will increase the temp. I see that most people say around 86 is a good temperature for them. Yesterday they seemed happy today they don't seem as cheerful so I am going to do a 50% water change. I am also going to pop over to Big Al's and get some freeze dried blood worms as was suggested. How much should I give my two daily, how often, and should I give it to them before the water change?

Thanks for the feedback you guys.. I really appreciate it! :)

Harry Marsh
04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I'd put them back in the community tank until they're a bit larger. Up the temp back to 84 or 85, keep feeding heavy and concentrate on another inch of growth
The female will slow in growth if she's being bred heavily. You'll end up with a smaller than usual female

strawberryblonde
04-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Right now my heater maxes out at a 81 degrees.. no amount of turning on my part will increase the temp. I see that most people say around 86 is a good temperature for them. Yesterday they seemed happy today they don't seem as cheerful so I am going to do a 50% water change. I am also going to pop over to Big Al's and get some freeze dried blood worms as was suggested. How much should I give my two daily, how often, and should I give it to them before the water change?

Thanks for the feedback you guys.. I really appreciate it! :)

The suggestion is for Al's Freeze Dried Black Worms, not Big Al's Bloodworms. I know they sound nearly the same, but nutrition wise there's a world of difference.

Definitely up the water changes and if they aren't eating well, don't overfeed them since the beefheart fouls the water very quickly.