PDA

View Full Version : Testement to daily H20 changes.

Teshi
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I haven't been feeling well the last few days. Today I over slept and thought to myself oh I'll skip the water change today one day won't hurt them. I turn on the lights and look at my tanks. In the QT (29gal) tank one fish is swimming very strange, in circles, darting around acting crazy, bolting to the top of the water and back down again. It is a BD and it is almost black in color where when I went to sleep it was a powdery baby blue. I do quick H2O tests and OMG I was shocked. NH3-0.25 NO2-0.25 NO3-10!!!!!

I immediately did a 27gal H20 change. After an hour it isn't swimming so crazy and is more calm and the color is much improved, but I can tell it is still stressed out. The reason it was put in the QT tank in the first place is clear mucous poops and I have increased the water temp. for it to 92.

Now I really don't feel well and am stressed about my fish. :(

DO YOUR WATER CHANGES!

PS: Just wanted to also clarify. I do reg H20 changes daily of about 70% that's why I thought one missed day wouldn't hurt.

Eddie
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I haven't been feeling well the last few days. Today I over slept and thought to myself oh I'll skip the water change today one day won't hurt them. I turn on the lights and look at my tanks. In the QT (29gal) tank one fish is swimming very strange, in circles, darting around acting crazy, bolting to the top of the water and back down again. It is a BD and it is almost black in color where when I went to sleep it was a powdery baby blue. I do quick H2O tests and OMG I was shocked. NH3-0.25 NO2-0.25 NO3-10!!!!!

I immediately did a 27gal H20 change. After an hour it isn't swimming so crazy and is more calm and the color is much improved, but I can tell it is still stressed out. The reason it was put in the QT tank in the first place is clear mucous poops and I have increased the water temp. for it to 92.

Now I really don't feel well and am stressed about my fish. :(

DO YOUR WATER CHANGES!

PS: Just wanted to also clarify. I do reg H20 changes daily of about 70% that's why I thought one missed day wouldn't hurt.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. It also looks like the filters aren't cycled by those numbers. Definitely watch the fish and you will have to juggle cycle until the biofiltration is built up for the load.

judy
04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
I suspect your QT tank is not cycled. One skipped WC should not result in an ammonia reading in a cycled tank with appropriate biofiltration. Why do you think an increased temp will solve mucousy poop? As well, without additional aeration, a temperature of 92 will decrease the amount of usable oxygen in the water quite dramatically. Your fish could now also be suffering from oxygen deprivation.

qiyanfeng
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
totally agree with Eddie's "not cycled filter" diagnosis.