PDA

View Full Version : worms in discus tank?

aagroves
12-21-2011, 01:34 AM
im not sure is this is the right section to put this in, im sorry if its not :s

im freaking out. I have recently been treating my discus tank for gill flukes. i got this new product and its called PARA-CIDE by aqua master. and triclorofon being the active ingredient. now i started this treatment on the 10th of Dec. now for this i had to remove my clown loaches and my sail fin plecos. and the instructions say to repeat again in seven days to prevent re infestation. now with this i did not do a water change for seven days becuase i was unsure if I should. I treaded again on the 17Th of december. but i made sure i did a huge water change so the fish would be ok. im meant to do a water change tis saturday, but i feel sorry for my discus so i went to do a water change today, then i realised these little tinny worm thingos moving around on the side of my tank and in the gravel. im really worried what these are and im unsure what they are. they wernt in my tank before i started to treat my discus for gill flukes, so what im thinking is that the gill flukes have layed eggs and now they have hatched and they r moving on the glass to find a new host aka my discus?

if you look closley on the pic then you can see the little white things on the glass
please help me asap

Skip
12-21-2011, 01:41 AM
planerians.. probably..

your feeding too much and food is rotting..

wipe off glass and do water changes..

Chicago Discus
12-21-2011, 01:41 AM
maybe Planaria Worms uneaten food, poor water quality or large amounts of gravel in the tank I'm no expert but thats my guess. Not harmful to fish but good water changes and less gravel will help.......My 2 cents..........................Josie

aagroves
12-21-2011, 01:47 AM
ok, i dont have poor water quality all water parameters r good. but my gravel is abit dirty becuase i havent clean ed the gravel in a while so ill do that right now =] thx for the help guys but more opionions would be awesome aswell =]

Skip
12-21-2011, 01:50 AM
http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/planaria_white_worms/

Chicago Discus
12-21-2011, 01:51 AM
ok, i dont have poor water quality all water parameters r good. but my gravel is abit dirty becuase i havent clean ed the gravel in a while so ill do that right now =] thx for the help guys but more opionions would be awesome aswell =] sometimes you can get these worms in older tanks that have been established for awhile. its not just water quality there are many reasons why these worms show up. if thats what it is they won't harm your Discus they are more of a nuisance than anything......................Josie

aagroves
12-21-2011, 01:55 AM
thx warlock i was looking at that before, but they are alot smaller then the pic. and snoopodus, my tank has been running for about 8 months. im going to do a gravel clean every day until these little buggers are gone. i was freaking out that they were gill fluke babies

chrisb01
12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
They have probably been there for a while but your Clown Loach kept them in check, put him back in.

...poor water quality...

...i dont have poor water quality all water parameters r good.

Poor water quality, not as far as water params in concern, but in the amount and frequency of water changes.

cjr8420
12-21-2011, 02:08 AM
planerians living in ur filter u never see when medicating they dont like it and abandon ship into ur tank they are ok just up WCs after treatment if not during to 7 days seems like along time to me hth

Chicago Discus
12-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Chris to the rescue LOL.....Josie

aagroves
12-21-2011, 03:19 AM
i did water changes every 2 days to keep the discus happy but then i medicated them and did none while i was medicating them

cjr8420
12-21-2011, 03:46 AM
you can keep ur same waterchanges just gotta remedicate the new water going bk in.you use more meds but better for fish.medication instructions are so general for use on all fish not very exact for discus they need their new water.

chiligum
12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
The only time i ever got these on my tank glass was when i had big Oscars, so all the other remarks previously about water quality stands!

DonMD
12-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I get these worms sometimes - it's basically from over-feeding. My discus like to eat them! Ha! They shouldn't cause any harm, good luck treating the flukes.

brady
12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Ironically I just noticed small worms on the glass this am. They can't be any larger then a 1/32 of an in. if that. I've never had them before and am wondering if fdblackw could be the cause?
The discus don't seem to mind them, but! Tonight I will do a major water change and let the glass dry out before adding new water and see what happens.
Jay

aagroves
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
My mind is at ease now that I know they won't hurt my fishes but I'm going to try and keep then under control thx so much everyone