PDA

View Full Version : color changing/posible health issues NEED HELP

frinklinduds
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM
alright so i have right now temporarily 6 discus ina 20 gallon long, this is only temporary as i have a 100 gallon on the way (i kow it a bit crowded) when i addded all intogether they all seemed to be fine but now aboit 3 weeks later ive noticed one of my smallest has been hiding and turning dark lately. although he is dark he does brighten up and come out to eat everytime food enters the tank. he has one cloudy eye which i have been treating with salt for the past few days but it is yet to clear up. idk what to do with him

secondly i have a turq aswell in this and it is the next one up in the pecking order (4th of 6) has been seeming more afraid then usual, i assumed its because of the bigger 3 intimidating it, still eats, color seems to be the same but also is hiding with the one with the cloudy eye and never hid before,

i am wondering if i should take these two out and temperarily seperate them for a while in a 10 gallon tank

Lastly i have an albino which is 2nd of 6 in the pecking order, is rarely bullied by the leader of the tank but seems to lose its color during water changes

i perform daily waterchanges varying from 4-8 gallons everyday (no exeptions due to crowded tank). during the process he loses most of orange color and turns white. the other albino which i got with it shows no like symptoms and appears normal throughout.

my ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and my ph is at 7.6, my tap also comes out at 7.6

im kind of shot for ideas on what to do with solving this problem and found that seperating the water changes into ~ 4 gallons in the am and ~4 gallons and the pm instead of 8 all at onces has not helped

any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

THANKS AGAIN

frank

frinklinduds
10-27-2011, 05:52 PM
anyone?

lane mechtel
10-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I would try 15 gallon water changes daily for at least a week.

helinova
10-28-2011, 05:15 AM
since your tank is crowded you have to do a lot W/C and feed them properly.

frinklinduds
10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
how often should i feed them, they are still small and dont want to stunt them by not feeding as often as i should, i just did around a 8 gallon change, and will do another before i go to bed tonight...... any other suggestion?

unfortunatly i just talked to the people who are making the tank and it will arrive approx the first week of december which sucks but i have to make this work for around 4 more weeks at the least

noobF1
10-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Had the same problem i got this blue treatment call ick and aquarium salt did water change of 50-60% daily for almost 2 weeks and it did the job. Hope it works for you.

frinklinduds
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
hopefully more frequent water changes will help these fish out, i really dont want to resort to medicating these fish, they seems better today and my albino seems to retain color during water change...... not sure on what to do as far as medicating

when should i start with out it being to late :confused:

lane mechtel
10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Usually ich can not live in high tempetures. You could turn the temp up 2 degrees each day until 90 f for at least 4 days

frinklinduds
10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
these fish do not have ich, so i don't think medication will be necissary imo, fis hhave been acting more normal lately and i will continue with approx 15 gallon WC daily

TURQ64
10-29-2011, 08:23 PM
You might want to fill this out completely, and repost in the sicknes portion..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

The cloudy eyes are a bacterial issue usually stemming from poor water quality..That's too small of a tank for that many fish..You can feed them properly, but you'll still stunt them...Gary

jimg
10-29-2011, 08:28 PM
I would def. do 90% wc at least 1x a day until you can get them in a bigger tank. you can feed them as much as they will eat in 15 min. then do a wc. vacuuming any leftovers. feeding them less will not stunt them, poor water will.
A table spoon of salt will help too.

frinklinduds
10-30-2011, 01:18 PM
thanks jim i am going to continue with the wc route as it seems to be somewhat working but the albino still changes to a pale whitish color during the process, which doesnt make sense to me as all other sseem unaffected, would aging water help or is it unnecessary because my ph of tank and tap are equal at 7.6 and i measure tap temp to match tank temp with ever bucket filll

jimg
10-30-2011, 05:10 PM
If ph and temp are the same no reason to age it. don't know why it's turning pale, but I have seen newer fish turn pale during lights on or wc's.

frinklinduds
10-30-2011, 09:17 PM
ok yes he is fairly new only had him a around 3 weeks