PDA

View Full Version : Egg fungus prevention

Sean Buehrle
07-08-2011, 11:56 PM
whats everyone using for egg fungus prevention?

I think I was using quick cure at one point, cant remember. I think it had malachite green and formalin in it.

I know I can use formalin and meth blue but dont remember if those will hurt my biofilter.

If you could,Just give me some ideas and info and dosage. and a favorite supplier too. Im all for using a sponsor.

Thanks alot.

Larry Bugg
07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
quick cure

pcsb23
07-09-2011, 05:33 AM
I don't use anything.

kaceyo
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I use formalin, Quick Cure will also work well. Use one drop per gallon of either and you'll be fine.
You may not need anything depending on your local water.

jimg
07-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I never use anything. most fungus only grows on dead tissue

DonMD
07-09-2011, 04:34 PM
I've got two 29g breeding tanks going in the basement, with an adult pair in each one. Sponge filters. They are new parents, and the first broods all had fungus. I used Methylene Blue on the next batch, and had zero fungus. Sure it makes the water very dark, but I only put it in just after the eggs are laid, and then with at least 50% w/c's every day, the concentration is cut in half each time.

Right now my pair of Santarem have at LEAST 80 fry hovering all over them! I don't know if it's the humidity here on the East Coast, or what, but the fungus is easily controlled with the Meth Blue, imo. -Don

Cevoe
07-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Don,
What do you do as far as filtering when you add the Methylene Blue?
I thought it wiped out the bio-filter.
Thanks.

Sean Buehrle
07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Don,
Thanks.

Im interested in that too. I have easy access to meth blue and wouldnt mind using it, but if it kills the biofilter, i cant use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Buehrle
07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I've got two 29g breeding tanks going in the basement, with an adult pair in each one. Sponge filters. They are new parents, and the first broods all had fungus. I used Methylene Blue on the next batch, and had zero fungus. Sure it makes the water very dark, but I only put it in just after the eggs are laid, and then with at least 50% w/c's every day, the concentration is cut in half each time.

Right now my pair of Santarem have at LEAST 80 fry hovering all over them! I don't know if it's the humidity here on the East Coast, or what, but the fungus is easily controlled with the Meth Blue, imo. -Don

Yep my new fish laid eggs the other day and some fertilized but some didnt. The fungas was pretty bad on them. I know it doesnt affect the fertile eggs but the parents must not have liked it cause they ate them.

Like yours they are probably young fish, and hopefully with a little boost to stop the fungas things will go better.

Sean Buehrle
07-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I use formalin, Quick Cure will also work well. Use one drop per gallon of either and you'll be fine.
You may not need anything depending on your local water.

I have been planning on buying A couple emporer 400s online and also some formalin but everyone who has a good deal on 400s is out of formalin,LOL.

laborelch
07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I use methylene blue or most of the times indian almond leaves (1 per 10g). Like the leaves much better as the water doesn't turn that dark.

TURQ64
07-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I switched to Maroxy from MB years ago when I do use something..Gary

nc0gnet0
07-09-2011, 09:14 PM
meth blue all day long. I believe formalin based products have to potential to be stored in the living organs of the adult fish and repeated exposure should probably be avoided. If you have a good healthy sponge filter you will be fine, but if your filter media is marginal you need to be carefull. I also believe meth blue brings something to the table the others do not.

Rick

Sean Buehrle
07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I switched to Maroxy from MB years ago when I do use something..Gary

Do you use the suggested dose on the maroxy container?

Sean Buehrle
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
meth blue all day long. I believe formalin based products have to potential to be stored in the living organs of the adult fish and repeated exposure should probably be avoided. If you have a good healthy sponge filter you will be fine, but if your filter media is marginal you need to be carefull. I also believe meth blue brings something to the table the others do not.

Rick

Yeah my biofilter is very new only a couple weeks with a couple sponges from hans, so i gotta watch it.

DonMD
07-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Don,
Thanks.

I've got a sponge filter in both my breeder tanks. Since I change at least 50% of their water daily, I figure that I can keep up with any damage to the bio filter. But to be honest, I never even checked the ammonia or nitrites in those tanks, and both pair are happy and healthy, and very randy!

Cevoe
07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Same here.
Sponge filter and daily 50% water changes.
It was my plan all along to go with the Methylene Blue until I read the label.
Between what you said and what Rick said I am sticking with that plan too.
Now it is up to the pairs.

roundfishross
07-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I have heard mb kills the bio but I have never had any problems with the sponges in my breeder tanks. Rick. I was thinking about switching to quick cure but dont like the idea of the fish becoming toxic!

Sean Buehrle
07-10-2011, 04:21 PM
In regards to formalin possibly being toxic, how long are you guys keeping it in the water? Or doesnt it really matter, is exposure to it even in short timeframes enough? I kinda thought all the time needed was for a couple hours after fertilization, please correct me if im wrong.

TURQ64
07-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Do you use the suggested dose on the maroxy container?

Yeah, I do..There's not too much to be harmful in Maroxy; it's just a bunch of chloride salts, I think....I'm in full agreement as for steering wide from Formalin based products whenever possible..

Sean Buehrle
07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I do..There's not too much to be harmful in Maroxy; it's just a bunch of chloride salts, I think....I'm in full agreement as for steering wide from Formalin based products whenever possible..

I have been looking at it and itlooks like the best choice. Meth blue certainly works but will stain my tank. Formalin is up in the air whether its safe, and its hard to aquire it seems.

Quick cure does work but will also stain my tank cause of the malachite green.

Ok looks like maroxy is my choice.

Thanks for all the replies.

ShinShin
07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I've used MB, formalin, MG as well as several other products and had no more success than by using nothing. Good water quality is sufficient. I always maintained the same water change regime after spawning as before. Fungus only attacks dead eggs anyway, not live ones. Sometimes the hyphae appears to be on the live eggs, but it is actualy just growing over them not on them.

Mat

nc0gnet0
07-11-2011, 12:13 AM
I have tried the nothing but clean water route. Still I get 2-4x higher hatch rates with meth blue than nothing. Maintaining the same water change routine is not always that easy, depending on how high up on the cone the pair have laid there eggs. While fungus might not effect healthy eggs, bacteria can. I also believe meth blue aids in the transport of the oxygen through the egg membrane (shell).

In other words:

clean water alone-healthy eggs>eggs membrane calcifies>embryo dies>fungus forms
clean water + meth blue-healthy eggs>no calcification of membrane> ebryo lives>no fungus>wigglers

differences in results can be explained by differences in water composition

As for the staining of the silicone, heck, they are breeding tanks......you could always use acryllic.

Rick

kaceyo
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I agree with Rick that a persons individual water makes all the difference on whether or not you can get by w/out an anti-fungul agent in the tank.
I've known some very experienced breeders who've said that they had to add something to prevent fungus or the hatch rate would be too low to bother with.
And some that have moved, then found the new water to be the opposit of the old water, under the same maint.

roundfishross
07-11-2011, 02:08 PM
ime when using ro and not tap(my usual) the anti fungal is not needed,also in the winter time when the ground water is colder the plain tap will yeild higher results without the anti fungal.

pcsb23
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
...Maintaining the same water change routine is not always that easy, depending on how high up on the cone the pair have laid there eggs. ...I don't worry over it, short term exposure to air won't harm them.

jimg
07-11-2011, 05:16 PM
clean water alone-healthy eggs>eggs membrane calcifies>embryo dies>fungus forms
clean water + meth blue-healthy eggs>no calcification of membrane> ebryo lives>no fungus>wigglers
i never knew meth blue effected the calcium levels in the water or blocked it

DonMD
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
An interesting (to me) side note. I dosed with Methylene Blue for a pair of new parents. The eggs hatched on the opposite side of the cone, and I could never see them very well, but eventually I did see wigglers. Yesterday I turned the cone, and noticed about 40 wigglers seemingly encased in fungus. Today I come home and nearly all of them have attached to the parents, and the cone is empty. So, I guess, the fungus is a problem initially with the eggs, and once they are hatched they can extricate themselves, even when covered or stuck in it. MB works for me. -Don

Sean Buehrle
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
My fish laid eggs again bout an hour ago and i made a mad dash to the pet store and the only thing available was maracin-oxy. It does state on the bottle that it treats fungas on eggs. I just checked online and compared maracin-oxy to maroxy and both say the same ingredient stableized chlorines.

Added recommended dose and its a waiting game now. Over the last week ive been using ro/tap and dropped the tds to 70. And luckily i did a waterchange this morning before heading to work, Wish me luck.http://tapatalk.com/mu/4badb28a-92d4-d2bb.jpg