PDA

View Full Version : new 60 gallon tank

m1nh0h
04-16-2011, 09:20 PM
hello i am upgrading from my 30 gallon to a 60 gallon, I wanted to use white sand for the substrate, but a lfs owner told me that white sand can get caught in your filter and that discus can end up eating the white sand while eating their food which can lead to stomach problems, is this true?

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
You can put a prefilter on your filter intake to avoid sand or food being sucked in the filter. Suggest rinsing the Prefilter daily. Most folks here would recommend using pool filter sand or play sand in a discus tank. I have not heard or read about sand causing stomach problems.

Eddie
04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
hello i am upgrading from my 30 gallon to a 60 gallon, I wanted to use white sand for the substrate, but a lfs owner told me that white sand can get caught in your filter and that discus can end up eating the white sand while eating their food which can lead to stomach problems, is this true?

LOL, you should have asked the gas station attendant, he would have said the same thing.

As mentioned, use a prefilter. The fish will do fine in sand, they've been doing fine from the beginning of time. ;)

discuspaul
04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, discus sure know the difference between sand particles and food. They won't eat the sand., that's for sure.