PDA

View Full Version : WILL A BULLDOG DISCUS SCORE WELL IN A SHOW?

roundfishross
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I am starting this thread out of curiosity. I would think that the term bulldog show is an oxymoron.

do they score well in asian shows?

hedut
12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
well I think they don't get good score but may be in future will have their own class :)

LizStreithorst
12-26-2010, 03:49 PM
You need to ask Eddie or Paul as they both judged in Asia. From what I've seen in the pics, the judges are conserative and put up fish with a round shape. The fish are, after all, are called Discus for a reason.

kent1963
12-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I can't imagine they would score at all unless they have there own class. As said their not "discus" their more like "half moons".

kaceyo
12-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't think BD are shown at all. They would lose points big time in a number of areas. Egg Shaped is acceptible in a show but nothing extreme.

LizStreithorst
12-26-2010, 04:23 PM
There are plenty of Bulldogs being bred. They won't be competive unless they have a class of their own. In the Asian shows they don't have their own class. That should tell you what the Asians think of Bulldogs.

But if they're what you like, go ahead and breed them. Beauty is in the eye of the fish holder, after all.

hedut
12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
There is Kacey:), at DCS2 I saw there is BD SS is quite nice actually look kinda short body :)

jaykne
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Myself I am not into bulldogs, I just like a nice round discus, but I do know from a very dependable source that they are though of very highly by allot of Asians, they go for 2 to 3 times the price of a nomal discus in Asia. But I am sure there are allot of people in in Asia that are not into them either.

Eddie
12-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Bulldogs will score poorly and would never place in any category.

CliffsDiscus
12-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Myself I am not into bulldogs, I just like a nice round discus, but I do know from a very dependable source that they are though of very highly by allot of Asians, they go for 2 to 3 times the price of a nomal discus in Asia. But I am sure there are allot of people in in Asia that are not into them either.

I agree in fact these type of Discus are sold not by their length but by their height.

Cliff

kaceyo
12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
There is Kacey:), at DCS2 I saw there is BD SS is quite nice actually look kinda short body :)

I'd like to see a pic of it. I'm guessing that you can enter any discus you want to. They'll take the registration fee, but it could never score well if it had obvious BD traits.

Ed13
12-26-2010, 07:47 PM
They will def score!!! A jump shot from the three point line to the waste basket FTW!!!!:p

I'll respect anyones choice, but this one is mine!!!;)

LizStreithorst
12-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't think BD are shown at all. They would lose points big time in a number of areas. Egg Shaped is acceptible in a show but nothing extreme.

You should have seen some of the abominations at the NADA show. I believe that they were Blue Knights, not Bulldogs. They were very extreme. In my tanks they would have been culls. They did not place. What, after all is wong with a beautiful round Discus?

roundfishross
12-26-2010, 08:26 PM
how can you say all bks are abomitable?http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/roundfishross/01caf5fe.jpg

moik
12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
6377263773Heres some of my favorite discus..It takes alot to raise these up to a good size compared to the regular discus.I wish all strains of discus were lke these.

LizStreithorst
12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Everyone should breed fish that suit his fancy. Not all Blue Knights are an abomination. In my humble opinion, a Discus with a straight forehead like the one in Moink's second pictrure is an abomination. My taste isn't the same as Moink's taste. If you like it, breed for it. What's the big deal? It won't win in todays shows, but if it's what you like, go for it.

moik
12-26-2010, 10:27 PM
It is all with what your taste is,,no more no less..If I had it my way,,discus would not grow bigger than 3" big to be mature adults,,so I can have more of them..sorry to derail the thread..

hedut
12-27-2010, 12:43 AM
nice bulldog Vince

John_Nicholson
12-27-2010, 12:27 PM
As the president of NADA "There is not currently a class for bulldogs. They maybe shown in any other class, but we believe that species is called discus because it is suppose to be round. Based on this it would be difficult for a true bulldog to win its class"

As John "I hate these things. I have them show up on occasion in a spawn and I take great pleasure in killing them. I truly believe that this body type is caused my a problem with the spine. Most likely a missing vertebra. "

-john

Eddie
12-27-2010, 01:46 PM
As the president of NADA "There is not currently a class for bulldogs. They maybe shown in any other class, but we believe that species is called discus because it is suppose to be round. Based on this it would be difficult for a true bulldog to win its class"

As John "I hate these things. I have them show up on occasion in a spawn and I take great pleasure in killing them. I truly believe that this body type is caused my a problem with the spine. Most likely a missing vertebra. "

-john

Ditto, it's a deformity and far from what any discus should look like.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kent1963
12-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm relived to see I am not the only one that feels this way. It's not a direction I'd want to see these fish go. I'm a little conservative I won't buy even the high body types.

Jennie
12-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's a direction in which the discus are going..There will ALWAYS be the round discus and then there are the bulldogs and the high body styles

Ed13
12-27-2010, 06:54 PM

-john
John, I have two questions for you.
1- Are you aware of Andrew Soh's ideas and theories on bulldog discus?
2- I thought all your fish were from Hans, do you have any Asian bred or their descendant discus?

I'm relived to see I am not the only one that feels this way. It's not a direction I'd want to see these fish go. I'm a little conservative I won't buy even the high body types.
Sadly, I do the same. I've avoided High body discus because of bulldogs, when before I would've found them attractive.

I don't think it's a direction in which the discus are going..There will ALWAYS be the round discus and then there are the bulldogs and the high body styles
The problem as I see it, its that you can no longer tell or trust that "bulldogs" weren't used to "improve" the body shape of normal domestic discus. Like John, people are getting some bulldog types from normal pairs, then its no longer ones choice.
This is besides the ideas and/or theories on whether it's a localized infection or a gene involved.

Wilds may end up being the only sure "round" discus.

John_Nicholson
12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Not all of my discus are from Hans and I was talking about over the last 15 years or so. I have not had any bulldogs show up in the last couple of years.

-john

DiscusKev
12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey Moik, that's a really nice BD Pigeon you have! It's not the extreme type, it's just perfect! Great eye size and body shape, now that's the type of discus I want to be sold here in UK. (market may be small though...but hey, at least you could get some!)

discusvast
12-27-2010, 07:58 PM
6377263773Heres some of my favorite discus..It takes alot to raise these up to a good size compared to the regular discus.I wish all strains of discus were lke these.
Moik,

that's a killer pair you got there, the first pic of the male is what i am dying for, I raised a few small batches from eggs it takes forever to reach 4" size. dude, you do an excellent job there. keep up and bred some more, it's always been a market for it or else send them my way haha

yim11
12-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I think its been well established that a bulldog or very high bodied discus will not score well in any show anywhere in the world. And if there is any doubt left, simply look at the judging criteria/scorecards (almost always posted publicly). North America, Asia, Europe - no matter where the show is the bulldog would never make it through the first round of judging. Also looking back 5-7 yrs in show winner pics from all shows world wide there are no bulldog fish.

Efforts are being made to establish an international scoring standard and all preliminary info I've seen had no allowance for a bulldog discus.

Thanks,
-jim

wendy9722
12-31-2010, 11:35 PM
As John "I hate these things. I have them show up on occasion in a spawn and I take great pleasure in killing them.

That is just totally MEAN!!!! Granted I dont like them but I still wouldnt get any pleasure out of killing them. Thats just sick!!!!!!!!!

hedut
01-02-2011, 04:30 AM
I'd like to see a pic of it. I'm guessing that you can enter any discus you want to. They'll take the registration fee, but it could never score well if it had obvious BD traits.

here pic Kacey, sorry it take me a while:o, this fish from DCS 2 in Singapore

Eddie
01-02-2011, 04:36 AM

Heck yeah Kacey, hell...someone could enter a goldfish into the competition too but it ain't gonna score too well. LOL But I think it might actually score better than a Bulldog. :)

kaceyo
01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks Hendri,
That one is putting a fine line between Bulldog and Standing Egg. I like it though.

You might be right about the goldfish Eddie, but I hear it's near impossible to get them to breed with discus, so they're out. Although a Bubble Eye discus does sound intriguing, yes?

DiscusKev
01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
That's a really nice BD/Standing egg Hendri.

roundfishross
01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I would keep that bd, although it's not as extreme as most I have seen offered for sale.

hedut
01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
well that's kinda bd that I love and to bad is wasn't mine;).

DiscusKev
01-02-2011, 02:38 PM
lol boo (that it's not yours haha).

Yea, the extreme looking BD are kinda out of my range.

hedut
01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
yeah bro, that fish is in DCS2 contest in Singapore 2010;)

DiscusKev
01-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Ah that's nice, personally I THINK high body/standing egg type BD appeals more to the asian country/people. Agree?

Skip
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
i haven't seen bulldogor high body in person .. but i think the discus should be round.. personally.. i just care for the look.. they look deformed to me.. and i just can't believe they are even breed to look that way.. :(

as for them having their own class at a show.... i say leave them out, don't know much this topic but i did sleep at a holiday inn express :)