PDA

View Full Version : Discus Committed Suicide!!!!

dean9922
11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Just came home to a dead discus on the floor. After I fed them I forgot to close the lid on top the tank and came home to a surprisingly stiff discus on the ground.....damn.......

has this happened to many people before, or did my fish just want to end it all and committ suicide....lol

William Palumbo
11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Plenty!...more than I care to admit...tho not recently(knock wood) ALWAYS the best looking one in the tank too! You're not alone...Bill

PAR23
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Just came home to a dead discus on the floor. After I fed them I forgot to close the lid on top the tank and came home to a surprisingly stiff discus on the ground.....damn.......

has this happened to many people before, or did my fish just want to end it all and committ suicide....lol

Sorry to hear about your fish.....There are many posts regarding jumpers.

Eddie
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Too often and its always your favorite one.

Dave B
11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I have an Arowana. I have gotten really good at being sure my lids are all 100% secure. And I still worry. At this point he's big enough that if he wants out, he could still bash his way out.

But it's good practice for the other fish, anyway. My discus aren't going anywhere.

DonMD
11-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Yup, I lost a favorite, dead on the floor in the morning. Some people say they never have jumpers, but I've read lots of sorry tales on this forum:(:(. You're not alone.

j123
11-10-2010, 07:21 PM
A few years back I had an grey Clarius over a foot long that kept jumping out and walking around the house. Some times he sayed out of the tank for a day or so. It didn't bother him too much other than some tattered fins.

Dudley Eirich
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I had a jumper that I found on the basement floor, dried on one side, but still alive. I moved water through his gills for about 5 minutes. He revived completely and survived for a long time after that.

Sorry about your fish. We spend so much effort and time trying to do the best we can for our fish to keep them healthy and happy. It is very disheartening to have one jump out and find them dead on the floor.

Jason K.
11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
it happens to all of us eventually...

cp21506
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
me too. 8-( lost a red cover last week ...

Darrell Ward
11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
it happens to all of us eventually...

Sure does. I had a turq. that I had over 5 years, that measured almost 8" from nose to tail, get spooked and slam into both ends of the tank several times, and died a couple hours later. It happens.

dean9922
11-11-2010, 01:36 AM
wow....just find it funny (in a sad way) that the first time I left the lid open and bang......and yes it was my biggest and probably nicest snow white....
was he just waiting for the right opportunity all this time...lol
oh well...good lesson learned I guess.....

discus_novice
11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
thank god that still i don't have this type of luck.but from now i'll be careful about hood of my tank.

inmisawa
11-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Not a discus, but I had an arowana that jumped out of the tank. I think my wife was more upset about it than I was. It was a shame, out of all the fish we ever had I think it was out favorite.

Sorry tohear about you discus loss though. It really sucks, given the amount of time put into aquariums.

PAR23
11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Not a discus, but I had an arowana that jumped out of the tank. I think my wife was more upset about it than I was. It was a shame, out of all the fish we ever had I think it was out favorite.

Sorry tohear about you discus loss though. It really sucks, given the amount of time put into aquariums.

Sorry to hear about your arowana. I also have a 14-16 inch arowana and one can hear him hitting the glass top from time to time. It is pretty secured but you know how big they can get and the power that comes along with growth.

jball1125
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

I hear my top getting hit every once in a while....

dean9922
11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Well let's just say that I've learned a very BIG lesson the hard way....I certainly won't forget to put the lid down again.

discus_novice
11-11-2010, 09:43 PM
sorry for your loose.ya,arowana is a great jumper.

joshua 74
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
the pritty discus just cannot take the pressure. i had an oscar pair when the female jumped threw the glass breaking it then out of the tank into the large goldfish flacks packet then dryed up on the ground. not i have flowerhorns in that tank with 4mm glass sheet covering the tank.

joshua 74
11-11-2010, 11:17 PM
the pritty discus just cannot take the pressure. i had an oscar pair when the female jumped threw the glass breaking it then out of the tank into the large goldfish flacks packet then dryed up on the ground. not i have flowerhorns in that tank with 4mm glass sheet covering the tank.

dean9922
11-12-2010, 01:05 AM
I was thinking that I can't even imagine if this was to happen to someone with a proven breeding pair in a breeding tank....that would even hurt more if it did.....I would be sick for days...... has that happened to anyone.....

discusdaves
11-12-2010, 01:46 AM
Ya that allways hurts bad, It is crazy though, it is allways your favorite one!!! My first jumper was not only my and my wifes favorite, it was the first, last and only discus I will ever name, her name was tigerlilly. anyways, NEVER leave a tank uncovered!!!

keef
11-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Hi Dean, yeah I lost a lovely male Altum Flora to the high jump a just recently from a breeding tank, he was one of a fertile pair so I was pretty unimpressed! The worst thing was that I had a large 100L bin full of clean peat filtered water sitting just next to the tank and found him on the floor about 2 inches away from it - If he'd only jumped 2 inches to the left! lol! Sorry for your loss.

Interestingly that was the only tank I have that does not have a glass lip around the top edge. All my other tanks (over 20) have these fins on all 4 sides and have not had a lid on in over 2 years. They probably contain close to 70 Discus and I have never had a jumper from any of these tanks.

My theory is that a Discus jumps when spooked. It does this by hitting the side of the tank and thrusting straight up the side and out over the top. Aquariums with these fins jutting out at the top seem to prevent this in my experience.

dean9922
11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
sorry to hear about others losing fish to.....how lucky would that have been Keef to land in your barrel of water....you would of had to enter that fish into the circus....lol......sorry to hear about your loss of a proven male.....

j123
11-14-2010, 05:14 AM
It seems that some of these fish think there is water on the other side of the glass. He probably was not comtemplating suicide but rather wanted to swim around the living room for a while.

cyberhog05
11-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I havnt had a jumper yet but if I leave my lids open my cat tries to go fishing!!

wendy9722
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for letting me know that they are jumpers! I didnt know that before. I know my proven male gets startled and will hit the side of the tank but thats it. I didnt think that they would jump. I wouldnt let the lid up anyway. I got a cat that likes to play in water and try to catch fish at times.