PDA

View Full Version : canister filter require extra oxygen?

Faydra
09-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I am currently running a canister filter and two sponge filters on my 55 gallon tank. I used to have a long air stone that ran the length of the tank but I took it out when I started up the sponge filters and ever since I've noticed a decrease in my discus' appetites and activity. Is it possible that they are not getting enough oxygen?

joanr
09-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Faydra, using canister you will have less oxygen saturate the tank than using HOB's. Are you running your sponge filters with air diffusers inside and riser tube? My canister has a spraybar which I use and point up to the top of the waterl line to stir up the surface. But, I also run a fine mist air diffuser at all times. Also, when discus get older they tend to eat less and play less. Maybe they are just getting older?

Eddie
09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
I am currently running a canister filter and two sponge filters on my 55 gallon tank. I used to have a long air stone that ran the length of the tank but I took it out when I started up the sponge filters and ever since I've noticed a decrease in my discus' appetites and activity. Is it possible that they are not getting enough oxygen?

No, you have plenty but temperature also plays a big role in the amount of dissolved o2 in the water.

Skip
09-19-2010, 08:38 PM
why does the diffuser make a difference in the hydrosponges/

joanr
09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Just always ran my sponge filters with a diffuser inside the basket and airline down a riser tube. The diffuser creates finer air bubbles than just having an airline down the tube, and smaller bubbles add more oxygen, or so I've been told.

Skip
09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Just always ran my sponge filters with a diffuser inside the basket and airline down a riser tube. The diffuser creates finer air bubbles than just having an airline down the tube, and smaller bubbles add more oxygen, or so I've been told.

thats what i thought!! i am going to walmart right after i am done watching BOARDWALK EMPIRE :angel:

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-19-2010, 09:49 PM

A lower dissolved oxygen (DO) level will definitely have an impact on a fish's activity and appetite. A sponge filter uses very large bubbles to create lift through the tube. The diffuser creates smaller bubbles, which have a much higher surface area when compared to the open end of the sponge filter for the same given volume of air (depending on size of bubbles of course). Higher gas exchange rates occur the more surface area an air source/end point puts into the water (not necessarily air volume). Also, the deeper the air source/end point is in the water, the greater the gas exchange will be simply due to a longer retention time in the water (more time to rise to the surface). The higher occurance of gas exchange in the water will generally equal a higher DO level.

You could put an air diffuser in the bottom of the sponge filters, but it would really cut back on the volume of water the sponge filter would move (somewhat defeats the purpose of the air lift). If you're able to, remove 1 sponge filter and replace it with a diffuser and see how that goes. Use a high quality diffuser in the tank to ensure you're getting proper sized bubbles and even distribution within the diffuser body (properly sizing it goes a long way too).

-Ryan

joanr
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Well that explains it, lol. Really I never experienced a lack of volume with the sponges when using a diffuser vs. no diffuser. The sponge would always collect debris either way. I don't use them at all anymore except in a QT tank, the XP3 does a great job by itself but they are great for growing bacteria colonies.

joanr
09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
thats what i thought!! i am going to walmart right after i am done watching BOARDWALK EMPIRE :angel:

Yeah, wish I had HBO to see this, I'm from Atlantic City. Do a little research on the air stones before you buy the ones at Walmart. There are some that produce finer bubbles than others.

Skip
09-19-2010, 10:10 PM
ok.. so now i am lost...

get Air Stones or Not?!

i have two hydro pros in my 55.. or should i just go One and One.. :antlers:

joanr
09-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Experiment and see what you think. I can only tell you what I did with the sponges with great results and plenty of filtration.

tcyiu
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
ok.. so now i am lost...

get Air Stones or Not?!

i have two hydro pros in my 55.. or should i just go One and One.. :antlers:

Depends on your air pump. If the pump is small, and you get a fine mist of bubbles, but not enough water movement, then don't. Use the air pump without an airstone so that water gets pushed up the tube.

If you have a large pump, and there is a large torrent of tiny bubbles that drag a significant amount of water up the tube (and therefore a lot of water flows through the sponge), then yes get an airstone.

Tim