PDA

View Full Version : Salt/Bloat ??

FarmerD
06-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Had one of my fish swallow a huge frozen chunk of BS .... Poor guy 2 days later is swimming around head down and paying for his over eating and bullying habits. Here is my Question ........ I have been treating the tank with 1/2 tbs Aquarium salt per 10gal just for general stress .... Should i QT the single fish and treat with heavy dose of Epson .. or just start treating main tank with Epson Salt instead of Aquarium Salt?
Poor guy needs to get rid of his gut soon ..... does not look comfortable!

D

David Rose
06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Either way use Epsoms Salt at 1 tablespoon/10 gallons. It won't hurt to treat all and won't hurt your bio filter.

Eddie
06-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I always use Epsom Salt at 2 tbsp/10 gallon for bloat.

FarmerD
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Well ... I guess I should think about treating with anti-biotic. Fish is still leaning forward, other than that is behaving completely normal. Still have not seen the fish crap out much even after 4 water changes and salt at 1-2tbs per Gal. Does not have a marble in his gut, but looks a little thicker than normal. Afraid its a swim bladder issue at this point ... eating well and has all his color, but still leaning forward ...Not Good.

David Rose
06-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes, it could be bacterial. What is your tank temp? Do you have Kanamycin on hand? Can you QT?

FarmerD
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Tank Temp is 86 and YES I can QT ..... I know our LFS does not have Kanamycin, so I drove 50 miles south yesterday looking for it at another LFS.... No luck. I have Furan-2 on hand as well as a hand full of others. Will look today on having it shipped so I can get this fish into a QT tank pronto.

Thanks for the advise David.

Dustin

David Rose
06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I think Kanamycin is more targeted for this sort of thing than Furan 2, which is broad spectrum. Dan from Elite Aquaria has some. Given it could be bacterial, drop the temp slowly to 82F.

http://www.eliteaquaria.com/AQUASCIENCE_KANAMYACIN_POWDER_p/akan.htm

Eddie
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Furan-2 will do fine as one of the main components is Furazolidone. Furazolidine is used to treat some internal infections. However, I do recommend Kanamycin as a better internal treatment antibiotic.

Eddie

FarmerD
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Tank temp lowered .... Fish may have even righted himeself a little, and still eating and moving around tank in full color. Ordering meds and will hold off treatment until they arrive. Was going to pick up a new pair of fish this Sunday from the Bay Area....... may hold off a few weeks.

Thanks guys,

Dustin