PDA

View Full Version : what strain mite this be?

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
i bought this fish from a breeder in Columbus and he said its a golden red leopard snake.I dont see gold or red like in my golden red...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=241&pictureid=1849
my golden red...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=241&pictureid=1847

DiscusKev
06-05-2010, 01:09 PM
From what I can see, it does like a golden spotted snakeskin strain. Golden leopard snakeskin would be the name I see it. However it look like a throwback (note the peppering on the discus, the black specks) as some pigeons blood strain were used to strengthen their blood line (golden genes).

PS: Are picture 1 and 2 even the same? The colour look very different.

I'm sure others shall give you some ID on that discus,

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
they are 2 different fish. suppose to be the same strain...just look different i guess.sorry about the bad pics.i need a new camera.thanks for comment im new to the discus.

vera
06-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Most probably a cross of Pigeon blood (Marlboro or red maze etc) with Leopard or LSS hence some peppering and dark fins

DiscusKev
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
From what I can see, it does like a golden spotted snakeskin strain. Golden leopard snakeskin would be the name I see it. However it look like a throwback (note the peppering on the discus, the black specks) as some pigeons blood strain were used to strengthen their blood line (golden genes). Since it has pepper, I would presume that it holds some pigeon blood gene and with that yellow-ish base colour, golden snakeskin throwback? (it seems like it has 14 bars and fine looking pattern on the anal fin)

PS: Are picture 1 and 2 even the same? The colour look very different.

I'm sure others shall give you some ID on that discus,

Text in royal blue refers to picture number 1
Text in green refers to picture number 2
Text in sandy brown is additional information referring to picture number 1

they are 2 different fish. suppose to be the same strain...just look different i guess.sorry about the bad pics.i need a new camera.thanks for comment im new to the discus.

In that case, the story would be different. Check above.

Next time, your better off buying discus from the sponsors in Simply Discus, rest assure on buying from them as they stock healthy and quality discus.

PS: My bad, I didn't see the text above the second picture 'my golden red', but it looks like a golden snakeskin to me...

Have fun in the new discus hobby,

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
rite on. whats a throw back? i have only had discus for about 2 months now so im trying to figure out as much as i can and dont have all the discus lingo down yet.my fish are thriving and eating like horses.i have a lake tifi green 3pigeons.and 2 diffrent looking golden red leopard snakes.so....keep the info coming please.thanks a million

kaceyo
06-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd say the same. Either gold pigeon x lss cross or glss throwbacks. Lets see some pics of the others.

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 05:38 PM
was told tifi grren
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=241&pictureid=1848
pigeon-cross...something
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/picture.php?albumid=241&pictureid=1846

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
what is a throw back? like a mutt?...type thingy..
ps. bought pigeons off of craigs list.lol.try out fish to see if i was going to be ok with discus.and the other 3 from bill deem in columbus.real nice guy.

DiscusKev
06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Thats a colbalt blue and a very 'dirty' looking Pigeon blood.

Throwbacks are offspring from parents that do not breed true, generally from a different blood line. IE: A Blue diamond and a Red turquoise, since you won't get 100% BD or RT, the F1 offspring will be known as throwbacks as they too won't give you a stable line of strain.

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 06:09 PM
dang.i have a tank full of fish that i dont have a clue what they are.lol. oh well im figuring it out tho.i have about 150 wraped up in the 6 fish i have.i figured if i do well with these i can switch my aquarium that i have at my store over to some nicer more expensive fish.i just want to make sure i have this discus thing down before the big investment.
thanks again for all the info.

DiscusKev
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Go for our sponsors here at Simply Discus, no doubt that they supplier super healthy quality discus! They are reasonably priced too and far cheaper in terms of quality and size as shown in LFS.

prolude006
06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Actually I kinda like the odd fish, the colors are a bit unique. See how they turn out!!

David

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
thanks dave.they are very pretty fish.the other 2 pigeons i have are not as peppered as the one in the pic but i think the darker one is a nicer looking fish.i do not know much about how the standards go on discus.i like my fish and im giving them a good clean home.i hope they breed and make other little peppered throw backs.lol

DiscusKev
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
If you plan to breed them, it will take quite a few generations to clean up that pepper, your best bet is to do some selective breeding, or even better start with clean pigeon strains.

I have to admit though, even that Pigeon shown in the last post is 'dirty' I do like it in a way, but I can't describe what makes me not like it at all, overall everything has its beauty side, it just depends how you look at it.

take care,

joshuajames
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
im just playing kevin.i barely have the time to do the water changes now with the fish i have i could not imagine the work and dedication in raising fish from fry.i will take some more pics tonight of the other pigeons i have.i have a great interest in these fish though.its kinda like im addicted to these fish now.im planing on setting up a 240 gallon at my tattoo studio so i can enjoy them at work also.