PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank

cmich
05-15-2010, 02:10 AM
I put this post in the general discus discussion because i'm hoping to get a reply by morning and figured it will get the most views here. In the morning I am moving a 90 gallon fish tank from Michigan to Illinois, and didn't realize that a large piece of drifwood I have with anubius and java fern all over it won't fit in any containers. I had hoped to move the wood submerged in water, but now I won't be able to. Any suggestions on how to move the piece of wood without taking the plants off? It took 3 years to get the plants to look like they do and I'd hate to rip it apart. I was thinking of wraping it in a soaking wet towel, or wet newspaper, and then double bagging it in two garbage bags. Will that hold enough moisture to keep the plants alive? Any suggestions by morning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blake

Pardal
05-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Blake
Definately the best way will be to move the plants in a trash can or something like a garbage container with water. But it seems to me that doesn't look possible,
Of course, You can wrap it with paper wet paper towel, and plastic bags
just don't let it get to hot or to cold and if you can change the paper towel
and replace with new ones if you have a chance even better.
the critical point if after 24 hours at 48 you are in the danger zone.
but still it will posible nothing affect the plants.
just watch it when they get back in the tank and cut any dead leaves, or black roots, root should be white as you know or some green in case of the
Anubias. but definately no brownish or black roots, just trim those.
You might have a set back with your plants but they will come back
with the same TLC that you gave it before.
How I know this , well I also own a 90 gal tank, with CO2 and the whole 9 yards.
One time I order some plants but i was so cheap that put for 48 hours delivery
in other words all my plants arrive in really bad shape .I was lucky to save about half of my order.
I got another order in 24 hours and it was a lot more better. about a 90% survival.

Wahter
05-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Just wrap the driftwood with anubias on it with wet newspapers and/ or paper towels, then wrap it with some plastic wrap (something like saran wrap) - that plastic should help keep the plants from drying out.

Hope that helps,

Walter

cmich
05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks to both of you for the suggestion. I followed your advice and the tank has been moved successfully. Took the whole day but I'm glad to have it done. Some pics may follow of my five tanks together in Chicago.

Blake

Wahter
05-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Glad to hear that worked for you.

Oftentimes when aquatic plants are shipped, they are also wrapped in wet newspaper or paper towels.

Walter