PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear 70 Question???

Lovardi Discus
04-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I just bught and setup my new AC70. I noticed that the intake tube sucked in a lot of food debris. Do you all covered the intake tube ? Thanks

Ed13
04-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes, most put a sponge over the intake. You have to clean it regularly so it doesn't clog though.

David Rose
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Jason,

I have three AC70s and use HS-PF-FM3 pre-filter sponges from Jehmco. I love them. They come with multiple adapter tubing that works with AC and XP3 that I'm aware of http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html . I love that they have the bottom of the sponge sealed to create better suction through the sides of the sponge.

Hope that helps!
David

Lovardi Discus
04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Thank you all for the responses... I will order the filter from Jehmco... :)

diamond_discus
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Jason,

I have three AC70s and use HS-PF-FM3 pre-filter sponges from Jehmco. I love them. They come with multiple adapter tubing that works with AC and XP3 that I'm aware of http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html . I love that they have the bottom of the sponge sealed to create better suction through the sides of the sponge.

Hope that helps!
David

Yep, I use the same pre-filter from Jehmco. Works very well. I also order some yellow filter cone sponge for my other filter intake. It might work for the AC70s as well.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?filteration&1270915963

fishorama
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I use the same kind from http://www.kensfish.com/atipondandprefilters.html

Justice
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
FILTER-MAX #3's from Kensfish.com is what I use on all my filter intakes

David Rose
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I didn't know Ken sold them.... good to know! :)

mmorris
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't cover up the intake. It is so easy to access the media to rinse it out. I have more of a problem removing the intake cover sponge for a rinse. The debris always seems to fall off into the tank before I can get it out. I put a sponge on the intake of my canisters, though.

whitedevil
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I cover the intake with sponge filters from an ebay seller, aquaticmagic. bright yellow in color, full hole, about 6-7" tall, works great.

I always prefilter the intakes with sponges, cheap insurance.

mmorris
04-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I forgot- I have a sponge on the intake on the baby tank because I don't want the bits of food to go up.

gwrace
04-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I just bught and setup my new AC70. I noticed that the intake tube sucked in a lot of food debris. Do you all covered the intake tube ? Thanks

You can go to home depot and buy some 2 inch foam they use to seal around outside air conditioners. Works great, it's cheap and the long strip lasts forever. You just have to cut a small opening to fit over the intake and cut to the size you want.

Eddie
04-06-2010, 05:06 AM
You can go to home depot and buy some 2 inch foam they use to seal around outside air conditioners. Works great, it's cheap and the long strip lasts forever. You just have to cut a small opening to fit over the intake and cut to the size you want.

Is this foam aquarium/fish safe?

Eddie
04-06-2010, 05:07 AM

Anyways, I use sponge pre-filters on all my filters except I've been trying some netting on my Penguin 350 and it works wonders! .

gwrace
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Anyways, I use sponge pre-filters on all my filters except I've been trying some netting on my Penguin 350 and it works wonders! .

I've used it for years and never had any issues. As best I can tell it's just plain old foam. Several on this forum have suggested that product. I use these in two 75 gallon display tanks and one 30 gallon juvie tank.

Eddie
04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I've used it for years and never had any issues. As best I can tell it's just plain old foam. Several on this forum have suggested that product. I use these in two 75 gallon display tanks and one 30 gallon juvie tank.

Hmm, good to know.

gwrace
04-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Hmm, good to know.

Here is the Home Depot Link to the product....

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Weather-Stripping/Frost-King/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh6Zard7Z2fx/R-100013157/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

mmorris
04-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I have poisoned fish using products not made for the aquarium. Why risk it in any case, particularly when all you need is a cheap aquarium sponge to slip over the intake? It wouldn't cost you any more.

gwrace
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I have poisoned fish using products not made for the aquarium. Why risk it in any case, particularly when all you need is a cheap aquarium sponge to slip over the intake? It wouldn't cost you any more.

I would not recommend a product that I had not personally used in many of my own tanks. I would agree that caution is the name of the game but so many products "made for the aquarium" have a huge price mark up when their specs are no different than what you can buy off the shelf. This product has been recommended several times by others on this forum and it works great for my purposes. It's an individual choice.

DiscusOnly
04-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I would not recommend a product that I had not personally used in many of my own tanks. I would agree that caution is the name of the game but so many products "made for the aquarium" have a huge price mark up when their specs are no different than what you can buy off the shelf. This product has been recommended several times by others on this forum and it works great for my purposes. It's an individual choice.

I agree 100% Anything marked aquarium use is always overpriced and we always see hobbyist looking for creative DIY ways to save $ and or make things that are not available off the shelf. I think it's great that folks post about their positive/negative results when they use these other products.

With that in mind, we SHOULD ALWAYS USE CAUTIONS when using these other products. While they may posted on the Internet for their safe use, we have to remember that the same product being manufactured by a different company could give you different results.

It's an individual choice and people should know the risks.

mmorris
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
so many products "made for the aquarium" have a huge price mark up ...

Aquarium filter sponge: $2.00-$3.00
I slip it right over the intake.

Arjunpun
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
yes i was looking to buy sponge for my intake.i went with aqua70 sponge.:)

diamond_discus
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Try this :
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?filteration&1270915963

Only $4 for two yellow sponges. You only need to use half of a sponge for AC70.