PDA

View Full Version : Using Frogs Bit in a bare bottom tank

JaredP
03-30-2010, 01:04 AM
In doing some reading, I came across this

"Not only hormones but nitrates also plays a part in slowing a Discus growth. That's why some people put planted plants into their tanks."

What's everyone's thought of having the surface covered in Frogs Bit? How would it do in a bare bottom that gets 80% water changes a day?

ref. http://zestweb.com/articles/water/water.html

tcyiu
03-30-2010, 01:25 AM
In doing some reading, I came across this

"Not only hormones but nitrates also plays a part in slowing a Discus growth. That's why some people put planted plants into their tanks."

What's everyone's thought of having the surface covered in Frogs Bit? How would it do in a bare bottom that gets 80% water changes a day?

ref. http://zestweb.com/articles/water/water.html

We have plants around here called Duckweed. I tried that once a VERY long time ago. I will never add floating plants again. They clog filter inputs and just get in the way of water change and maintenance.

Just a thought.

Tim

waters10
03-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I had frogbits and salvinia before. Never had problems with clogging filter inputs. But had a problem with my HOB filter moving the plants too much and submerging them. I tried to limit them to one side of my tank, but every time I'd change water, they'd be all over the tank again.

I'd say that depending on what kind of filter you have, they'd work well. Not only to suck nitrates, but also to provide good shade and avoid algae. Just keep in mind that they are prolific! Specially duckweed.

William Palumbo
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I have used it in the past. Works fine with BB tanks and sponge filters. I had it thick, so it will block light coming into the tank, which I did not mind. I always kept it back then in my 125...it was very thick in there and it helped to keep the heat in...Bill

Dutch dude
03-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Floating plants easely collect dirt. The removal of nitrates and phosphates by plants is much smaller as a 70% water change at least every other day.