PDA

View Full Version : They tell me when they are hungry

mlw
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
This might just be a coincidence but it seems when my discus are hungry they line up on the right side of tjhe tank.

I feed them with a pipette. I open up the lid and they line up and one by one or sometimes in a group they suround the pipette and pick the food from it.

Well today I noticed that just about every three hours they would line up and hang out on the right side of the tank. So I got up and fed them and they ate like there were starving. Once the bellies were swelled they stopped coming back to the pippette and just picked around the substrate to see if the cories left anything.

It is almost three hours since the last meal. I am going to try and get a picture of them in line formation. I find it hilarious.

This is a super crappy picture but here they are:
http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/45127/2714148580101580664S500x500Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2714148580101580664XYruXj)

Husband said it is coincidental.

Dutch dude
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't think it is coincidence and they indeed beg for food.

To me at least 3 of your discus look seriously stunted. I don't know how long the discus are in your tank but you might want to check your feeding regime, foods and quantity of food.

mlw
01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't think it is coincidence and they indeed beg for food.

To me at least 3 of your discus look seriously stunted. I don't know how long the discus are in your tank but you might want to check your feeding regime, foods and quantity of food.

I have had them for almost 7 weeks. Feeding them four times a day variety of stuff (BH, Frozen Cichlid Delight, FBS, FBW, Mysis, NLS pellets, Hikari Spirulina Wafers and Tetra Flakes. Doing 90% water changes every other day. Temp is at 86.

They actually look thicker from head on and from top looking down. Just ordered medicated flakes. I am getting ready to worm them. Although feces is dark and they are eating, they aren't growing as quickly as the King of the Hill is. Two of them were small when I bought them and have actually grown some. The King of the Hill the largest one in the bunch WAS the smallest of the three larger ones (if that makes sense) and has grown significantly. But they should all be growing that fast in my opinion.

Dutch dude
01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
All sounds good to me, various foods, clean water, 4 feedings a day and basicaly the same treatment I give my fish. The two fish on the left look seriously stunted to me (eye size v.s. body size) and the one in the midle below looks stunted as well but less severe. I'm convinced the fish were already stunted when you bought them. I don't think the two on the left will catch up. If the poo is nice dark, the fish grow and gain in weight isn't very likely they are infested with parasites but in this situation it won't hurt and treatment rules out worm issues. I suggest to keep on doing what you are already doing. I do suggest to feed basicaly beefheart and use the other foods as supplements. One thing,...be careful with the bloodworms. Feeding to much bloodworms can couse lots of gas build up in the intestines cousing bloated fish. feed as a supplement bloodworms are no problem imo.

My fish also beg for food when I come home from work and walk into the room. If I move towards the tanks they become all exited and as soon my hand reaches out to the hood they gather on the surface so they can attack the food as soon as it hits the water.

Good luck with your fish and keep up the good work (-:

Peachtree Discus
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Well today I noticed that just about every three hours they would line up and hang out on the right side of the tank. So I got up and fed them...

reminds me of something i heard about dachsunds - they are not trained, rather they train their masters. I think they finally trained you...... to bring food on command. :D

mlw
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
The two fish on the left look seriously stunted to me (eye size v.s. body size) and the one in the midle below looks stunted as well but less severe. I'm convinced the fish were already stunted when you bought them. (-:

Unfortunately, I think so too. I should have gone with a sponsor. I bought them from the place I did because of price and location. I was able to pick them up. Because I was new to discus I thought it was a good thing. if I couldn't keep em healthy I hadn't invested a lot. Not so. I will still take care of these like they are award winning fish. I will continue to feed them when they tell me too and in 9 years (when the last kid is out of the house :) ) I will set up a bigger tank and get healthy strong adult stock.

David Rose
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Not a coincidence at all... my swarm to the corner of the tank facing the kitchen anytime someone walks in that direction. I'm can't wait until they take on formations and spell out our common acronyms like BH, FBS, CBW etc....LOL

joanr
01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Mine line up in wing formation every few hours and stay that way until they get fed. They just stare at me constantly, it's like that game we played as kids, who blinks first?