PDA

View Full Version : LED christmas lights

flyingdisc
11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know anything about using LED christmas lights IN a tank? If they are made to be used outside in the snow and rain, it seems to follow that they could be submerged, but the idea still scares me.

Thoughts?

yim11
11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Water resistant and water proof are not the same standard (from a product development perspective). Make sure the lights are submersible first, as I suspect most are not (much more expensive production cost). Many commercial pet stores carry a submersible LED light.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19788

HTHs,
-jim

Eddie
11-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know anything about using LED christmas lights IN a tank? If they are made to be used outside in the snow and rain, it seems to follow that they could be submerged, but the idea still scares me.

Thoughts?

I highly doubt it and would not risk it unless it specifically stated "CAN BE SUBMERGED UNDERWATER"

Eddie

flyingdisc
11-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes I have some of the marineland LED bubble wands. They have a very nice nice effect IMO, but obviously are lots more expensive then a strand of christmas LEDs.

I'm thinking I could rig something by putting the lights in clear tubing and then having the ends out of the tank- so inside the tubing would be dry. Anyone see any harm in that? Temperature would be my only thought, but with the LEDs being cooler burning it seems possible.

Eddie
11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes I have some of the marineland LED bubble wands. They have a very nice nice effect IMO, but obviously are lots more expensive then a strand of christmas LEDs.

I'm thinking I could rig something by putting the lights in clear tubing and then having the ends out of the tank- so inside the tubing would be dry. Anyone see any harm in that? Temperature would be my only thought, but with the LEDs being cooler burning it seems possible.

Sometimes cheaper isnt better. Sounds like you could do it but is it worth the risk to your fish or yourself. Highly recommend getting underwater lights specifically manufactured for your needs.

Eddie

cosmodude12
11-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Thoughts?

are you trying to create a fake Christmas tree in your tank?

flyingdisc
11-21-2009, 01:46 AM
are you trying to create a fake Christmas tree in your tank?

lol, no. I've given up on plants for the time being, but really like how the fish look with some green. It's a darker tank (black backing, tea-colored water from peat and tons of wood)...so the marineland LED bubble wands placed in the back really have a nice effect, but they're $20 a piece on sale and I was just looking for a cheaper way to do more of the same effect.

tcmemphisbbq
11-21-2009, 04:38 PM
You could always take aquarium silicone and put a good even coat on each light - dries clear, will make it water tight and is cheap... lol disclaimer.... I would never do it but you could try it in a bucket first LOL....

Keep us posted...

flyingdisc
11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
You could always take aquarium silicone and put a good even coat on each light - dries clear, will make it water tight and is cheap... lol disclaimer.... I would never do it but you could try it in a bucket first LOL....
Keep us posted...

I think I might try a few things. I need to see what the wattage is going through the lights- Ok so, this is more of an electrical question- if it shorts will the tank get the full current coming out of the outlet or just whatever is being sent to the lights?

I've dealt with my share of broken UV sterilizers in big reef set-ups that had caused the water to fairly painfully shock a person- but the fish were unaffected. What would be the difference between that and some lights shorting?