PDA

View Full Version : Discus and the Weather

Jhhnn
04-18-2009, 10:13 AM
A huge low pressure system moved into our area yesterday, bringing lots of cold rain and ultimately snow yesterday afternoon and evening, continuing into today.

My fish, normally pretty bold, were spooky and skittish all day- not terribly, but more than usual. Last night, as I made the usual 50% water change, they got really frisky- lots of chasing, nipping, tail wagging, bowing, and their colors were fantastic... They're ~4", and arrived from Kenny almost 2 weeks ago...

Did the weather and the water change set off instinctive mating behavior, duplicating the start of the rainy season in the Amazon? Or what? Anybody else notice that their fish might react to changes in barometric pressure and fresh water the same way?

cc_woman
04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
It could have been something in the water. Not sure exactly but I have never seen any odd behavior in any of my fish when the weather changes......except when it gets too hot inside in the summer and the tank water gets pretty warm.

alpine
04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I have read from experience breeders changes in breeder behaviour due to the change in barometric pressure,
Roberto.

Al M.
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Roberto is right on the mark.......

ShinShin
04-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Yes, discus react to barametric pressure like other fish and wildlife do.

Mat