PDA

View Full Version : CO2 System questions

adamsite
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I have a Red Sea CO2 Pro system on my 46g bow front planted show tank. Do I have to have all components incorporated into the system to make it work properly? I am not a fan of the bulky Reactor 500 or the internal Bubble Counter with integrated check valve. It seems like I have tubing running everywhere. Can I just use the external high precision needle valve to regulate my CO2? Is it possible to run it through a air stone to break up the bubbles? Can I also run an air pump with bubble wall in my tank with a CO2 system? All of these concerns or ideas are strictly cosmetic in nature. Lastly, what is a good CO2 monitor/tester on the market? All I have now is the internal color dye monitor. Thanks for the help!!:)
-Adam

nickmcmechan
03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Do I have to have all components incorporated into the system to make it work properly?

You can try and leave out if you want, but they are all necessary IMO

I am not a fan of the bulky Reactor 500 or the internal Bubble Counter with integrated check valve. It seems like I have tubing running everywhere. Can I just use the external high precision needle valve to regulate my CO2?

The reactor is probably the best way to dissolve the CO2 - best kit there is...some of them attach to the external filter output and are therefore inside the tank, however good plant growth covers them. The others are 'in-line' and can be fitted externally and are therefore hidden

Is it possible to run it through a air stone to break up the bubbles? Yes, but is very inefficient and you will waste a lot of CO2. If you are determined to not use the reactor then you should purchase a glass diffuser and site it below filter output

Can I also run an air pump with bubble wall in my tank with a CO2 system?

Avoid that, it will gas off all your CO2 - site the filter output near the surface to get ripple rather than agitation of the surface [/QUOTE]

Lastly, what is a good CO2 monitor/tester on the market?

Purchase a drop checker. It must be used with 4 dKh solution. Blue = need more CO2. Green = CO2 OK, Yellow = too much CO2

Thanks for the help!!:)

Your welcome - post away!!! How heavily planted is the tank and what are you using to dose ferts?

adamsite
03-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the answers! I had a feeling a bubbler would counteract the CO2 system. As for fertilization, on occasion I've added liquid API leaf zone. I'm nervous of adding too many chemicals to the tank. As a result my plant growth is short and limited, plus I tend to get a lot of algae growth on the leafs. Any recommendations?
-Adam

nickmcmechan
03-28-2009, 05:16 AM
I would recommend

- get a drop checker and crank up the co2 over a day until it shows green, start a 1 bubble per second and make a tiny adjustment every 1/2 hour until you are there --> DO NOT LEAVE TANK UNATTENDED, AS SOON AS FISH LOOK LIKE THEY MIGHT START TO HANG AT SURFACE, AGITATE SURFACE AND TAKE CO2 SLIGHTLY DOWN...but green on drop checker shoud be fine

-check out dosing strategies (google jame's planted tank) and choose one

- increasing co2 and ferts will promote plant growth - plants naturally cleanse the water along with water changes - the chemicals are fine

check this out, Tom adds buckets of NO3 and other chemicals:

http://www.barrreport.com/general-plant-topics/2186-barrs-behemoth-giant-plant-tank-10.html

how many watts lighting and what size is your tank?

what plants do you have in there?

pics would be helpful!