PDA

View Full Version : Discus Id Please

Palue
03-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I am going to post 3 pics of some Discus, can you please Identify them for me.

:angel:

Rod
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
leopard type, turquoise and a pigeon blood. :)

Palue
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, when you say Leopard type what do you mean??

If you had to pick between these fish which would you pick as your first??

Rod
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Just that leopards are so variable and different names for different looks. It looks as though it will develop more red lines as it grows rather than spots, but this is normal for many of this type. Have you only recently purchased this fish? He looks a little out of condition!

Palue
03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
These are not my fish, I have a friend whom wants to sell the 4 discus and the tank. There are two pigeon bloods but I only posted one as they are the same color.

The tank is a Walmart 46 gal bow front with stand and I don't know anything about these types of tanks if they are good or not, do you ??

Eddie
03-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't like bowfront tanks but some do. They are fine though if you are set on a tank and you are getting a good deal.

Eddie

Palue
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't know if this is a good deal or not.

Tank plus stand and I need to find out what equipment too
4 Discus as shown
2 Catfish
2 Plecos don't know what kind but no big deal they can be taken into the lfs

She is asking $200.00 for the full thing including the fish and the tank is from Walmart and stand too.

Any opinions??

And if not which of three types of Discus show would you choose as your number one pick??

Runningfish
03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I like the turquoise, or the one from the first pic the best. Then I would say the Pigeon the next best. They all look really good though.

Eddie
03-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Turq and leopard

Palue
03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Eddie, here is the tank and stand

Eddie
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Not a bad tank. The turq that you asked me about is a red turq.

Eddie

Palue
03-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Eddie,

Just so I know and learn along the way, what is the difference between the red and blue Turq??

Eddie
03-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Here is a link to Walter's page.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/index.html

Eddie

Patr1ck
03-03-2009, 04:42 AM
200 bucks! Thats a steal for all that in the picture.

Pat

Eddie
03-03-2009, 07:55 AM
200 bucks! Thats a steal for all that in the picture.

Pat

Thats what I said Pat! LOL

Eddie

Palue
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
She is happy with 175.00 for it all she said so tomorrow I am going to see it all and hopefully be bringing it home. I don't mind taking it down as that way I can be sure to move everything very carefully including the fish.....;)

Will keep you all posted......:D

rickztahone
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
She is happy with 175.00 for it all she said so tomorrow I am going to see it all and hopefully be bringing it home. I don't mind taking it down as that way I can be sure to move everything very carefully including the fish.....;)

Will keep you all posted......:D

that's an awesome deal. make sure the fish do not spend that much time out of their tank (not literally out of water btw) and they should be fine. have you checked water parameters in your house and your friends to see if they are similar?

Patr1ck
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Also, check the wattage on those heaters. They seem kinda big. Two of them might be overkill. Congratulations on your tank.:thumbsup:

Pat

andyg
03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
i agree this seems like an absolute bargain i would have to pay that price
for the fish alone here in scotland

Palue
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Yes our water is very close, there will be some stress involved no doubt but they should all settle in just fine. The heaters are not included unless she wants to add them along. I will check them out though when I get there.

She is very happy that they are going to someone whom appreciates them and will look after them. I think they could use some good food to bulk them up. They are young so I have no fear about it at all.

The only fear I have is what mine will do when they are all put together. I am fully prepared to maybe have to take one out if they don't get along. I sure hope they do though as they will be in all new surroundings by the time I set it up.

There will be 5 of them I will see how things go and do what I have to do in order to provide the best care for them.

This is such a great thing, as I was telling Eddie. Discus here are not really available, people don't want to devote the time, tank etc for them. Plus they are very very dear in price. If you order from the LFS you never know what you get. My cobalt blue was from the LFS and turned out to be a very big and beautiful fish. But I have seen some they bring in that are just horrible. Even though you may think these are not top of the line fish, they sure are here let me tell you.

I was told they are from Kenny as well. So will keep you all informed when I see everything tomorrow.

Moon
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
My advice is not to mix the new fish with your's. You should QT the new fish for about 6 weeks. Just to make sure they are not carrying any pathogens.

cmich
03-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Here is a link to Walter's page.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/index.html

Eddie

Cool reference to have. Thanks Eddie.

Blake