PDA

View Full Version : Why would my month old RO stop working?

Alfred
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
This unit was working perfectly for about a month now and today I see that the water coming out tests the same as the water going in.

Tap water is 7.6 ph and when the RO was working I would get 7.0 ph water out of the RO.
Now it's 7.6 ph out of the RO.
I also back flush it every time i use it for 3 minutes

What should I check?

Don Trinko
10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
You need to check TDS if you think your ro is not working proper. There is so little disolved in ro water that your PH test kit will influence the test results.
Don T.

Alfred
10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry but what is TDS?

BOBT00LS
10-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello Alfred. TDS stands for total disolved solids. The main reason for using an RO system is to reduce the disolved solids. You need to get a TDS meter to check what the TDS is coming out of your tap compared to the TDS coming out of your RO in order to determine if your RO is not working properly.The water coming out of the RO should have a considerably lower TDS then the tap water if working properly.

Bob

Dave27
10-24-2008, 09:36 PM
nm

Alfred
10-24-2008, 10:25 PM
It looks like my RO is working as my KH is 0.

Apparently my Tap water is being messed with by the water company.
How do others deal with this. Not knowing when they are going to go and mess with it and F it up is un comforting.
Doing a water check everyday you run RO seems crazy but what other choice do you have?

brewmaster15
10-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Hi,
My guess here by your posts is that you are using Ro water without a conductivity/tds meter? Thats something that I would not advise... I would however suggest that you pick up a combination digital conductivity(EC)/TDS/PH meter... They are not that expensive ( the price of a decent adult Fish) and would solve your problem....takes a couple of seconds to check all your important water parameters accurately... take a look at something like the hanna HI98129...

I highly advise anyone playing with RO water to get real familiar with their water parameters and testing them as needed.

hth,
al

rowedder
10-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey,
I'd check your filters as well in your RO system. I know it's only been a month but if your water quality is that bad coming out of your tap then it very well could have already clogged up your filters which would slow your production down quite a bit. I agree with Brewmaster with getting a TDS meter + pH. RO water by itself is not good for your fish. My RO system puts out hardly any TSD... I mean VERY LITTLE! and the pH is 5.0 or below, my liquid tester doesn't go below that. I have to mix both RO water and tap together to make the ideal pH and TDS. It was tricky at first but once you get a handle on it it's great. Good luck

Alfred
10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the help.

I just got the Hanna combo