PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good substitute for beef heart?

lilim10
08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Like the title says, is there a good substitute for beef heart? like something more common such as just plain beef? or plain chicken? or pork??

trebor69
08-10-2008, 10:27 PM
they will eat almost any meat or meat mix

but it must be very lean meat....you dont want any fat/grease/gristle etc in your water

beefheart is popular cuz of its high protein

I just recently got back into discus. Years ago I used to regularly feed mine venison(whitetail deer)

ShinShin
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
On a cellular level, any beef product other than heart has too much fat. Sure, you'll hear those who say that their discus eat beef eagerly. I am not arguing that point. They may, but they are not digesting the tallow (hard fat), which will clog the intestine and be deposited in the liver. This leads to immature death.

Wild salmon is excellant. Do not use farm raised. Again, the discus will eat it, but it is far less nutritous than wild. Keep that in mind when buying salmon for your family, too.

99% fat free turkey breast can be used as well. Buy 99% fat free, not just lean ground turkey. You can buy skinless turkey and grind it yourself as well.

Mat

yim11
08-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I used turkey heart/liver in my food mix. It was difficult to find but worth it IMO.

-jim