PDA

View Full Version : Amaquel+ amonia removal & API test

Don Trinko
08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Curious if any one else has had this experience: I add Amaquel+ to remove .5 amonia. Their web site say's I can be assured it will remove a min of 1.2 but 10 minutes after I add it the API test still shows .25 amonia, same thing several hours latter. They make some mention of test kits not reading correctly. Anyone have any ideas why? Thanks; Don T.

Rick Hunter
08-08-2008, 07:11 PM
This was talked about with the following link (example was with Prime instead of Amaquel, but the same principle applies).

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=61003

Don Trinko
08-08-2008, 07:32 PM
thanks Rick; I will get a seachem ammonia test kit. Don T.

kaceyo
08-10-2008, 01:06 PM
The ammonia detoxifiers such as AmQuel, Prime and all the other ammonia "removers" don't actually remove the ammonia, the just detoxify it by converting it to ammonium. The test will still show that you have ammonia in the water but it's in a nearly harmless state.

Kacey

WendiDeCato
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Don,

It is my understanding that Amquel must be used with a salicylate based ammonia test kit. The API test kit is salicylate based.

I have the API test kit and the directions state that (they use Ammolock for the example) the test will still show ammonia, but it will be in a non-toxic form.

Personally, I prefer it to show the ammonia so that I know where I am in the cycle/mini-cycle and how many water changes I need to make to bring the ammonia down to zero. If the test said zero just because I added a chemical to the water, how would I know what was really going on with my tank?

Hope this helps.

Wendi

Don Trinko
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Wendi; Yes they will show ammonia. They show all amonia and the test reagents (learned this recently) will unbind the ammonia in the test sample so you don't know if you still have an ammonia problem. There are some tests that will test for NH3. (the harmfull ammonia) Two that I know of are Kordon and Seachem.
I agree I like to know where in the cycle the tank is. Knowing NH3 would also be helpfull so that I know that I am not harming the fish. thanks; Don T.