PDA

View Full Version : When to move from grow tank to display

Autumn Wind
06-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I have 8 juvie Discus ranging from 3" to 4" that are currently in a 30 gallon BB grow out tank. Eventually they will be added to my fully established display tank which is fully planted with tetras, cories and bristlenose.
I would like to have some opinions on what size should I grow them out to before adding them to the display tank. As much as I would love to see them swimming around with the plants, I want to do what is best for them and make sure they reach their full potential as adult. These are all very nice quality discus and I don't want to risk stunting them.
Any advice is appreciated.
thanks,
Vanessa

White Worm
06-05-2008, 01:10 AM
I'd guess that once they reach close to a year old, they have done the majority of their growing. Age is a better gauge than size because they reach adulthood around that time (breeding age). I would say that a couple months either side of a year old would be a fine time to start planning the move. You will notice when they start to peak on their juvenie growth spurt.

dwilder
06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
one thing to think about is it's gonna get hard to keep up water quality in a 30 with 8 discus now i think its better to grow out dicus in a bb but what size is your display tank it might be better to have them in there

Autumn Wind
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
The Display tank is a 75 gallon. And before anyone jumps me for the 10 gallon min per discus you will have to take it up with Kenny cause I ordered 6 and got 8. ;)

Don Trinko
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Even 6 is a bit of a crowd in a 30g. If you keep the water clean and feed them well they will make the 30g look small in well less than a year.
I have had 4 in a 29g several times and it look fine for a while but when they grow it looks way to small! I'm not saying it can't be done, Breeders do it all the time. Don T.

Autumn Wind
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
What I'm thinking at this point is moving them to the bigger tank when keeping up with the water quality starts to get too difficult, figuring at that point the bigger tank will be more of a benefit to them.

Another question; I've read and observed how the discus establish a pecking order among themselves. They are very similar to how horses behave (which I have lots of experience) oddly enough, even down to the blind spot directly infront of their noses:D Sorry on to the question......
If I were to seperate them putting the bigger ones in the 75 gallon and leaving the smaller ones in the 30 gallon, could that potentially cause problems when the smaller ones are interduced back to the other discus in the bigger tank?

White Worm
06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Every time you introduce a new one or remove one, the pecking order will re-establish itself. That would also include moving some out and then moving them all back in together at a later date. Even after all is said and done, you may have the same discus and a different order. Shouldnt be any worse than the first time around.

The nerve of that "Kenny Guy"...... to send you extra discus....:D

Autumn Wind
06-06-2008, 02:50 PM
The nerve of that "Kenny Guy"...... to send you extra discus....:D

I know :D I think it's all part of his master plan to get me to set up another tank and then of course I need need to buy MORE discus. I really don't need that much encouragement:o

White Worm
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
You've seen his garage right? He is no stranger to setting up extra tanks and getting more discus. It is really hard considering all the nice discus he has and then sends extras? I've never heard a better reason to set up a new tank!:D Theres not a better guy out there to deal discus with than Kenny!