PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Discus trouble!

fxie
05-26-2008, 09:54 PM
A couple of days ago, I just had a juvenile discus freak out out of nowhere, and a few hours later, die :( Water parameters are perfectly normal, the other discus are eating, and everything seems to be fine.

This morning, I notice 2 of the remaining 5 discus near the surface of the water, at the corners of the tank, just sitting there and not really doing anything. They havn't ate the whole day, and after a water change, I've noticed there are tiny bubbles sticking to the 2 discus. They don't look too great, and I'm afraid they may die as well. What is happening? Can anyone give some insight on what is going on, and what I can do?

White Worm
05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
did you use a water conditioner like prime? Do you have any sponge filters or airstones going in the tank...anything breaking the surface of the water?

tedsdiscus
05-26-2008, 10:06 PM
all questions by Mike are good questions. When you say water params are all normal, what are they. Could you please elaborate so maybe someone can help save them.

Ted

fxie
05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

The water parameters are such:
PH 6.6
0 Nitrite
0 Ammonia
Temperature 86 degrees

Prime is used during each water change. I use the water straight from the tap, as our water here is fairly soft, and out of the tap the PH is about 6.7-6.8.

I dont have any sponge filters or airtones in the tank, but I do have HOB filters which break the water surface and gives flow. I do 50% water changes everyday as well.

One of the 2 discus in question seem to be acting a little more "normally" now, he is schooling with the other 3 juvies. The biggest one (the 2nd of the 2) is still in his corner not doing too much. It was on him that I noticed small bubbles sticking to him. Should I add some salt into the tank to promote slim production? I could add an air stone in the tank if it makes things better for them.

White Worm
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I do my water changes exactly like you accept I dont do them every day. There is most likely some high C02 levels in your tap which takes a little time to gas off (bubbles in the tank and stuck to the discus). Mine pout for a few minutes after a w/c and then they are fine in about 15 minutes. You can remedy this by ageing, heating and aerating your water for 24 hours before your water change but I personally dont have the time or space. The bubbles dont seem to do any harm and go away pretty quickly. IMO, I think it depends on which fish swims the closest to the incoming water that gets affected the most or the largest one. I have sponge filters going and I have my xp3 return aimed at the surface so I bet my c02 gases off rather quickly. The dead discus could have just been startled and ran into something. I would add air and see if it makes a difference.

fxie
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Okay thanks again for the quick reply!

I'll add an air stone in there for some air. The two discus that are hiding seem to be hiding from the light. One's in a corner, and the other one is ducked underneath some anubias that are floating in the tank. The one that is in the corner is breathing quite fast, but the one underneath the anubias is breathing really slowly. Is there any reason the two are hiding like that?

fxie
05-26-2008, 11:35 PM
The discus that was hiding underneath the anubias just went ballistic, he swam around really fast in the tank, hit a side of the tank, and is now on his side. Thought he was dead, but he's still alive.. most likely will die though like the other one. The same thing happened to our last discus that died. Why's it doing that? I've never seen fish act like that.

White Worm
05-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Unfortunately, there are many things that are hard to pinpoint. Any possibilities of an old heater (stray voltage)? Could be an external irritant which a salt bath or PP bath could help.

fxie
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Hmm, the heater is brand new, and the other 3 discus seem to be fine. Stray voltage would effect all the discus right? Quite strange.

This morning, both the 2 discus in question are still alive (thats a good thing!), and seem to be acting a bit more normal. The larger one is still keeping to himself, but the other one is now schooling with the other discus. I have not fed them yet...hopefully they will eat. Do you think I should add some salt to the tank?

YSS
05-27-2008, 02:43 PM
I have had same thing happened to me several times over the last few year or so. That's what happened to all the discus I lost. I think I lost close to 10 discus due to the same reason. Some have mentioned possible cholorine poisoning. I started using prime and doing smaller water changes. I haven't had that problem in a while. I had a few die, but some have recovered. Best of luck.

fxie
05-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I use prime every time I perform water changes, and I do 50% water changes every day. If I cut down on the amount of water that I change, think that may be better?

YSS
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know how big your tank is, but 50% may or may not be necessary.

TheZigman
05-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Any possibility of a toxin in the water? Did you use a bucket to add water that may have been used to mop the floor, or wash the car?