PDA

View Full Version : Discus Life Span

beadgal05
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know how long the discus fish lives?

Apistomaster
11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Discus can live to be over ten years old or more.

Most discus die much sooner than they should due to poor husbandry.

Rod
11-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Best i have done is 9 years, average seems to be more like 7 to 8 years. I've heard about 10+ years, even 15yo discus, but noone has ever been able to show me one.......kinda like the legend of the dinner plate size discus.

Iovino Gennaro
11-09-2007, 06:50 PM
sometimes is possible to have discus that live until 7/8 years. But they must be in grate conditions for all theyr life........

stevebris
11-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Best i have done is 9 years, average seems to be more like 7 to 8 years. I've heard about 10+ years, even 15yo discus, but noone has ever been able to show me one.......kinda like the legend of the dinner plate size discus.

But wouldn't a dinner plate sized discus be grand!!! :D

Penang explosion, that size :shocked:

Rod
11-10-2007, 04:13 AM
But wouldn't a dinner plate sized discus be grand!!! :D

Penang explosion, that size :shocked:

LOL Steve, well i'm not saying i wouldn't like a dinner plate sized discus....wow!!

Squiggy
11-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Rod

Years ago I did see a pair of brown discus that were legitimatly 9-10 inches SL...maybe better.

Joe

Kenny's Discus
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Rod, I've been wondering about this too myself...someone also mentioned to me years ago that he'd seen a 15 yr old discus. I just have not seen anything close to that yet...so would someone please show us a 15 year old discus lol?:p

Kenny

ShinShin
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Oldest I've heard of was 15 yrs. old. The longest living discus I have ever raised was a MR male, which was over nine yrs. old when I traded him off. 7-8 yrs. is far from rare. I've had several of those as well.

Mat

Rod
11-11-2007, 11:22 PM
sometimes is possible to have discus that live until 7/8 years. But they must be in grate conditions for all theyr life........

Yes i agree Iovino, many medicines and drugs we use to treat our sick fish can cause damage to the internal organs of the fish which could result in reduced life span. Along with a bad diet and incorrect water conditions, and discus that may have been hormoned when young, it is not surprising many discus do not live more that a few years.
That is why it is important to buy from an honorable source, someone who loves the fish and will try to do the right thing for the animal.

Rod
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Rod

Years ago I did see a pair of brown discus that were legitimatly 9-10 inches SL...maybe better.

Joe

Hi Joe, That would be spectacular at that size. Even in the wild it is reported certain areas have bigger discus that other areas. it is not inconceivable that we could breed for even bigger discus. One german website i visit shows 20/22cm+ wild specimens. I just think discus like that are exceedingly rare in our tanks.

Rod
11-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Rod, I've been wondering about this too myself...someone also mentioned to me years ago that he'd seen a 15 yr old discus. I just have not seen anything close to that yet...so would someone please show us a 15 year old discus lol?:p

Kenny

Kenny, i'd say a 15 yo discus is about as rare as a 120 yo person. But if anyone has a pic of a 15yo discus, i'd sure love to see it.

Rod
11-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Oldest I've heard of was 15 yrs. old. The longest living discus I have ever raised was a MR male, which was over nine yrs. old when I traded him off. 7-8 yrs. is far from rare. I've had several of those as well.

Mat

Hi Mat, The one i had that lived to 9 was a silver dreamer ( a kind of ghost) male, and your right i don't think 7 or 8 is uncommon for experienced keepers. These days i tend to trade away larger discus to make room for the more energentic youngsters, so my overall stock age is prob younger than i once kept. But i do have a cpl tanks for old faithful's some of which are well over 5.

beadgal05
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Well sadly one of my Blue Diamonds died last nite! 0 amon--0 nitrites and nitrates PH 7.0 my tank has been set up for a year now?? And i change the water every other day what could have happened??

2sybs
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Well sadly one of my Blue Diamonds died last nite! 0 amon--0 nitrites and nitrates PH 7.0 my tank has been set up for a year now?? And i change the water every other day what could have happened??

One of the new babies???
I'm so sorry. :(
Ray