PDA

View Full Version : Albino genetics

moltrup32
11-08-2007, 07:29 AM
This question has been on my mind for a while. What is the outcome if you cross a albino of a dominant kind,(ex. red turk) with a not albino with ressecive genes (ex. blue diamond). I have made this cross with normal fish, and there the outcome (F1) was 100% turks (not sure this will always be so, it was just an examble). Would this still be the case? Or does the albino gene take the place of the color enherritage gene in the albino? I was talking to a guy who told me that this was the case, when you breed albinos. I cannot get this, it just dosnt make sence to me? If we talk about humans, an albino negro would still produce dark genes to his child right? shouldnt this be the same with discus?
I have absolutely no experience in breeding albinos, I just want to understand how it works?

dpt8
11-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Look in the Photo gallery section here on pg. 2 of Al's Brew'e Homegrown Albino Alaquer's post.. He does explain about albino genetics somewhat.. In breeding albino to albino and splits together, maybe albino to non-albino..

brewmaster15
11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59962

that may help..

If I understand the question..

if you breed an albino that looks like an albino (phenotype) it carries two sets of the recessive albino genes..(genotype) cross this to a NON albino... that carrys no albino genes but two sets of dominant "normal" genes the result will be all fry that look like the non-albino color wise...yet carry a dominant gene for normal color and a recessive gene for albino.. thats your f1..

It should not matter what strain you are dealing with as the genes coding for albinism deal with pigmentation and should be at a different location on the chromosome, as all genes are...when you use different strains though it will affect how that fish looks as an albino... for example.. an albino red turq is still a red turq....just not with red turq normal dark pigmentation.

If you take the F1's above... and cross them you would have the same example as what I gave a link to in the photo gallery.

Genes are amazing things and they can interact in the expression of proteins in ways that are surprising so its possible that different albino strains express their phenotype differently than I described here...My post here is based on text book genetics and my limited experience with that albino alenquer intermediate...others can probably add to it...but truthfully...breeding albinos is a bit of trade secret these days.

HTh,
al

Apistomaster
11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Al,
Interesting read. 25 albinos out of 125 fry from F1 Normal X Albino is very close to the 25% albinos Mendelian genetics would predict. Assuming albinos to be weaker and the albino embryos may have had a higher mortality rate, you probably did hit the 25% albino mark one would expect from this cross.

All albinos within the same species obey these predictions.
Beyond the F1 generation, one has to breed the fish to determine what genotypes are involved but regardless, all albino X albino=albino.

One unusual case I'm aware of involves Ancistrus sp. 3. No one knows the source of the common bushy nose pleco and many suspect it is a fertile hybrid of a couple different species but the truth has been lost in time.
I aware of the results of a well known breeder of Zebra L46 Plecos and many other pleco species, unintentional experimental crossing of Normal fin Albino BN X Albino Long fin BN produced normal pigmented fry. This would seem to indicate each albino strain of BN is derived from different species with the albinism gene at different loci. A very strange case to me.
Something like this happening with discus is theoretically possible. For instance, an albino pure wild type Green X albino pure wild type Blue might produce pigmented progeny.
Highly theoretical. If any one has any pure bred wild type Green discus available feel free to PM me.

moltrup32
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Thank you. If I have got it right, this will be the "F1" from the cross im my examble. (according to Mendel).

"T" Turk "a" albino x "b" blue diamond "N" Normal color

All the offspring will be the same.

Tb,Na.

And then F1xF1 you will see 75% turks 25% blue diamond. And 25% off all will be albino no matter whitch strain it is.

Apistomaster
11-09-2007, 12:00 PM
You understand it perfectly.
In genetics, F is an abbreviation of Filial which pertains to the sequence of generations. Each generation is given the number subscript to indicate it's sequence removed from the parental generation.

moltrup32
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
:) Thank you:)

Iovino Gennaro
11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
If you breed a RT with a Blu Diamond, you'll have a brillant turquoise discus: a RT with a blu color very regular on body........

stevebris
11-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Great thread!
Very informative :D

Thanks for the info people:D