PDA

View Full Version : How many cover thier WC barrels?

GrillMaster
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I for one dont. I have a 40G rubbermaid that is wide open, but just wonderin how everyone else does it.

TrevorB
01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I do but that's mostly to keep some of the dog hair out of the water :)

lkleung007
01-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi, I use food grade 55 gallon barrels and always cover it after filling...this way the water stays clean and more importantly, the heat stays in.

HTH, Lester

pcsb23
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
My water storage is a 70 gallon bow front at the moment, its partly covered!:confused:

aquaticplantman
01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I definitely use closed-top barrels. I would also have a lot of dog and cat hair to deal with, but I think the most important thing is to keep the heat in. It would be an interesting experiment to see how much more electricity is needed to maintain the temperature in an open-top vs. closed-top barrel.

-- Matt H.

greyhoundfan
01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I use 64Gallon Toter. Better than Brute, since my Brute sprung a hair pin leak. Keep it covered for heat and evaporation mitigation.

thang45
01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
If you have an air stone in the barrel, is it better to leave the cover off so more chlorine and chloramine can escape?

Wahter
01-09-2007, 11:05 PM
If you have an air stone in the barrel, is it better to leave the cover off so more chlorine and chloramine can escape?

I was under the impression (based on what Seachem told me about their Prime product) that dechlorinators do not release chlorine, but rather they convert it into chloride.

GrillMaster
01-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Got a couple of em..:D I had the lid on for a couple of nights, but the condensation was to much so I took it off.

The amount of evaporation I cant really measure in a 24 hour period, but I can imagine I am payin Northeast Utilities for it!! Now they are goin up 50% this year.:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I just might wanna put the lid back on!!

Isn't it great how a monopoly can do whatever they want because you have to have it?:mad:

Timbo
01-10-2007, 08:56 AM
i always leave the cover on the barrel

Advantages:
-keeps airbourne crap out
-eliminates evaporation
-keeps heating cost down

I cant think of a disadvantage

grelot
01-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I cover it because if I dont there is too much humidity in the room. The dehumidifier works 24/7

tony1313
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I have the standard style drums with 2 holes in the top. I never cut the tops off as some do.

Riche_guy
01-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Only if your cover is air tight it might matter, but gas will come out of the solution anyways.

thang45
01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
i always leave the cover on the barrel

Advantages:
-keeps airbourne crap out
-eliminates evaporation
-keeps heating cost down

I cant think of a disadvantage

Based on this, I think I better cover it too. I hope the heater and power head cable don't get in the way of the cover.

One time I was filling the tank with the water from the barrel and forgot turn of the heater and the heater almost melts the barrel. Luckily I’ve caught it on time, but I think I should get another one because if I held the barrel towards the light I can see the light through the location where it melted. :mad:

jclehmann
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Only if your cover is air tight it might matter, but gas will come out of the solution anyways.

I have a 550 gallon water storage tank in my heated basement. I'm not sure about the chemistry involved but if I put the lid on it, the chlorine comes out in about 48 hours. Without the lid, 24 hours.

Riche_guy
01-10-2007, 08:22 PM
I have a 550 gallon water storage tank in my heated basement. I'm not sure about the chemistry involved but if I put the lid on it, the chlorine comes out in about 48 hours. Without the lid, 24 hours.

I'm sure most are not talking about a sealed - air tight lid. Given we are talking about chlorine escaping as a gas, a regular lid will let it through. If we are talking about a sealed container, there is a air space between the water and the top of the barrel - the lid, the gas will accumulate there. It will come out of solution (water). As for your your 24 hours vs 48, can you supply us the documentation that proves this?

Thank you.

thang45
01-10-2007, 10:55 PM

How did you find the result?

If I use prime, do I need the air stone?

jclehmann
01-11-2007, 02:35 PM

I use a water test kit to determine presence and level of chlorine. I can give more detail later on the kit type when I get home, if you would like that info.

Riche,
what type of documentation do you mean? I haven't sent the water to a testing laboratory if that is what you mean. I'm no chemist but I am only giving my personal experience here.

the lid on my tank is not air tight but the tank is about 56" in diam and the lid is about 8" in diam.

thang45
01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Please give me the kit that you are using. Most of the time I leave my lid open, but after this reading this thread I close the lid.

If closing the lid have the same effect as leaving it open then I rather close it to take advantages of what Timbo is saying. But if leaving it open will speed up the process of removing chlorine and chloramine then this is a better option.

Can anyone tell me what is needed in the barrel?

Currently I have a heater, an air stone, and power head in the barrel. The water is stored for 24 hrs and use prime every time I refill.

Can I eliminate any of the above items?

Sorry bastalker I didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

Cosmo
01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
IMO they should be kept covered... vented perhaps, but covered. Too many things floating in the air that you really don't need going into your fish tank... not to mention flying or crawling insects...

Jim

GrillMaster
01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Currently I have a heater, an air stone, and power head in the barrel. The water is stored for 24 hrs and use prime every time I refill.

Can I eliminate any of the above items?

Thats what I have in the barrel as well. A heater, 2 airstones, an a pump for the water transfer.

Sorry bastalker I didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

Its everyones thread!!:D ;)

IMO they should be kept covered... vented perhaps, but covered. Too many things floating in the air that you really don't need going into your fish tank... not to mention flying or crawling insects...

Never really thought about dust an things. Its in a spare room, so no insects that I am aware of. :D

My problem lies with my container right now. Its a rubbermaid trash can with a standard fit over the top an snap it shut lid. The condensation on the lid just winds up runnin down the side of trash can on the carpet. I am looking for a container now to alieviate this problem though.

thang45
01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Thats what I have in the barrel as well. A heater, 2 airstones, an a pump for the water transfer.

Its everyones thread!!:D ;)

Cool!:thumbsup:

GrillMaster
01-12-2007, 01:55 AM

The airstone outgasses the c02 raising your PH to the PH level in your tank.

The prime remedies the chlorine, chloramine an ammonia.

TrevorB
01-12-2007, 06:08 PM
My problem lies with my container right now. Its a rubbermaid trash can with a standard fit over the top an snap it shut lid. The condensation on the lid just winds up runnin down the side of trash can on the carpet. I am looking for a container now to alieviate this problem though.

That sounds like the same container I have, rubbermaid brute trash can. I don't have problems with the condesation running out though. I have a hole drilled in the lid for the RO water line to come in and the lid still snaps down with the heater & powerhead cords coming out. hth

pcsb23
01-12-2007, 06:52 PM
.. not to mention flying or crawling insects...

Jim
What and deny them a free meal ;)