PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back! We've had some site issues...

Ryan
10-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone,

First let me say welcome back, and thank you for your patience.

Yesterday as most of you know, SimplyDiscus decided to flake out and quit working. Our host quickly pinpointed the issue -- our hard drive was full. Yep, that's right, we completely ran out of space.

The forum database has been a little unstable because of this but hopefully those problems are ironed out. Please, if you see anything unusual or you start getting database errors, you can email me at webmaster@simplydiscus.com and let me know.

Overall, I'd like to ask everyone to continue being patient. This isn't a simple issue. More problems might crop up in the near future. We are planning on doing a migration to a larger hard drive in the near future. This will mean occasional down-time for Simply. However, this is going to greatly benefit us in the long run.

Every few years we experience a major growing pain, and this seems to have been the precursor to one. I would like to thank Al for listening to my psychotic, panic-induced rambling and especially our web host, TNSC.net (http://www.tnsc.net). Barry and Nate have been incredibly helpful, patient, and supportive. Thanks guys.

White Worm
10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm sure there were many that were going through withdrawals yesterday :D Just dont let it happen again ;) :D

t_j
10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
At the beginning I thought it was me and I was restarting my computer and all I kept getting was "database error" so then I figured it wasn't me any more. But I'm happy to hear that it's not something really bad that might have shut down the forum. I have been on other sites where the whole forum crashed and they had to start all over again. But you guys are Pros that won't happen here:D

brewmaster15
10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
:) No problemo Ryan... I can't thank you, Nate and Barry enough for dealing with this issues as they arise.:)

For everyone else out there... We are lucky we have a good web team here!:)

One thing I have to say is... You all are a bunch of SimplyDiscus addicts...LOL.. I can't tell you how many messages we get when the site is down.:) makes you feel good knowing you are that important!

I do have a request for future issues.... If for some reason you log into the forum and it doesn't load or hangs up.. Its real helpful if you walk away for a while and try back latter... That gives Ryan and I time to deal with an issue. WE are real vigilent about the forum status and if theres a problem we flag it and get on it...
But if everyone keeps hitting refresh and trying to log in and load the webpage... It kind of bogs things down even more.. and makes it harder for us to fix a problem.

Thanks everyone,
al

billeagan
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
:)

I do have a request for future issues.... If for some reason you log into the forum and it doesn't load or hangs up.. Its real helpful if you walk away for a while and try back latter... That gives Ryan and I time to deal with an issue. WE are real vigilent about the forum status and if theres a problem we flag it and get on it...
But if everyone keeps hitting refresh and trying to log in and load the webpage... It kind of bogs things down even more.. and makes it harder for us to fix a problem.

Thanks everyone,
al

Sorry about that guys... I hope I didn't hose you up too bad...

With the site down I had to actually work =(

oodi
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Al and Ryan,

First off... Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Secondly, if you didn't already know it, there are a couple of threads showing up in the list of New Posts that are coming up with nothing when I click on them:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=53840

and

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=53839

Judi
:)

brewmaster15
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Judi,
Thanks,

For now we will call those our trick or treat threads... Those are the trick ones.:)

-al

Jarrod
10-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Al AND Ryan!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he was losing his mind! I can see from the posts that I wasn't!...lol I was SERIOUSLY LOST without SD!!!!!!!!! First and FOREMOST I have to say WB!!! LOL and secondly, it's SOOOO good to be back here with all my friends and FAMILY!.
AND yes I DO consider this site to be my extended family! Al and Ryan, I do have a fairly good idea of what it takes to maintain a site such as this one as well as the costs involved. I just assumed you were doing an upgrade or something like that, but I have to admit lol...that after a full day of not being able to come "home" so to speak I did kind of panic! But I'm "home" now and very very thankful for that! So THANK you BOTH again for being the types of guys you are and keeping at least this yo-yo's second home alive and well!
All my best to BOTH of YOU!
George

Ryan
10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Judi,

Based on the original post times of those two "blank" messages, my guess is that the posters were in the process of creating them, or had just finished creating them, before the site crashed yesterday. So the posts were probably incomplete and the text itself was probably lost. It would be best for them to simply re-post them.

A lot of replies and posts that were being made at the time of the "meltdown" yesterday will probably show up this way because things were probably incomplete when the board went down. Everything prior to that should be intact, though.

If anyone notices that their messages from yesterday are incomplete or missing, my best suggestion is just to repost them.

Ryan

Tony_S
10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
psychotic, panic-induced rambling

Sound's like me once I realized the site was ACTUALLY DOWN FOR REAL!!!:shocked2:

Tony:scared:

Ryan
10-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought that was you everyday, Tony. :p Kidding.

Hopefully it's back for real... we've had several small hiccups this morning. Everyone cross your fingers.

Kindredspirit
10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I thought that was you everyday, Tony. :p

It is:D

CAGE-RATTLER
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Great to see the site back up .......... I was definately going thru withdrawl ..... lol.

What made it even worse is ............ I belong to an online football league for ESPN NFL 2K5 played on XBOX and our league site went down at the same time and is still down and we havent heard anything from 2K Sports on the problem yet........... which is normal for them.

Tony_S
10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I thought that was you everyday, Tony. :p Kidding.

It is:D

The doc said the meds should start to work any day now!! :D

He's been telling me that for years....:confused:

Ardan
10-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks for all the hard work Ryan and team!
I hope we fill the next hard drive soon too! LOL:D :D :D

Ardan

wolfbane
10-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, I was another one who thought it was my computer! AND, I did have anxious moments wondering what I would do without Simply!!
Ok, I am addicted and I admit it!
All seems well now, except that I don't see the thumbnails anymore, it seems to be a ZoneAlarm issue, frustrating.