PDA

View Full Version : Eating and spitting out

phalough
06-23-2006, 09:09 PM
One of my discus seems to always eat and then spit out it's food. He has grown and I have witnessed on many occasions him tanking a poop and it is always hard and dark in color which seems to be a good sighn as it's not white and stringy. Any how he does seem to show an increase in size but I fink it very rare that he will eat and keep the food down without spitting it back out again. Just wanted to know if anyone else has this issue also. I feed small amounts several times daily. I have practically every kind of food you can think of.

lhforbes12
06-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Phalough,
Most discus do this to some extent. If you look closely you'll probably see that whatever it's eating is getting smaller everytime it comes back out. Since your fish is growing and seems healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

pedsdoc
06-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I recently took a look at Discusdave's setups and was struck by most of the discus (his wilds and German stock) eating-and-spitting their food. It seems to just be how some do it!
Good Luck!

Dissident
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Discus like to taste their food first sometimes. I have mostly noticed this with BH and ColorBits. Bloodworms and brineshrimp they gobble up so fast they dont have time to taste it... kinda like my dog and a Arby's roast beef sandwich.