PDA

View Full Version : Filtration question

jcbyrne
04-25-2006, 02:13 PM
I am setting up a 60 gallon tank to be a planted discus tank. I bought a Fluval 405 and an Emperor 400 in order to get a lot of filtratio. The Emperor won't fit under my canopy. What else can I use to get additional filtration and the capacity to use carbon whenever i need to medicate? Thanks.....Janice

Cosmo
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Sponge filters do a great job :)

AADiscus
04-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm with Cosmo.....use a sponge filter. Make sure you use one that is rated for that size of tank or put two in there. If you have to use carbon to take meds out you can just hook up the back filter on the front of the tank for the short time you are taking the meds out. It doesn't look pretty but it will work.

jcbyrne
04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the sponge filter suggestions. AADiscus, what do you mean hook up the back filter on the front?

bennyblanco
04-25-2006, 09:58 PM
he means to put the filter in the front of the tank when you want to take the meds out of the water leave the canopy open !!!:D

lhforbes12
04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
I think a better solution for you in a planted tank is a cannister filter. Sponge or Emperor filters are both poor choices for a planted tank as they will both drive off CO2 which your plants need to grow. Also if you do choose a cannister make sure your return is under the surface and not making it ripple. You want a little surface movement, but only a little in a planted tank.

SSteino86
04-26-2006, 12:21 AM
An in-tank box filter is unsightly, but the least expensive option in order to use carbon in your tank if a hang on back filter is not appropriate. They run between 4 - 10 dollars and can be filled with alot of different media.

Dissident
04-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I think a better solution for you in a planted tank is a cannister filter. Sponge or Emperor filters are both poor choices for a planted tank as they will both drive off CO2 which your plants need to grow. Also if you do choose a cannister make sure your return is under the surface and not making it ripple. You want a little surface movement, but only a little in a planted tank.

I have to agree with that.
Go one ebay and get a jebo 828 ~$40
I have a XP3 and a 828 on my 65gal planted tank and they work great.