View Full Version : Man Down!!!

chago09
03-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Ok well the leaopard x turq is about dead looks like. It's breathing but it's just floating around the tank being pushed by the water current from filters and it's just been thrown into walls then sucked in and pushed away again. Obvioulsy needs to be culled and I don't got the balls to kill it. Is the toilet such a cruel method. I live in Canada so it's like its gonna end up in some warm water where it can survive???? any ideas for me that arent really harsh cause this fish is sufferinng right now.

pcsb23
03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Chago,

No the toilet is not the answer. If you have no other way of doing it, ie anaesthetic, put the poor fish into a plastic container with some water from the tank and put it into the freezer.

Dispose of it in a few hours.

I am sorry but you must find the balls to put it out of its misery. Not easy but...

Take care,

chago09
03-17-2006, 08:24 PM
well i found the most gory but in my opinion the most painless method. I put it on a chop block and took the head off with one big chop. Yes it sounds gross but its a blink of an eye death and I was told it was the best way long time ago when I needed to kill an oscar. The fish was suffering so I don't feel so bad but it looked soooo bad. It's forehead was paper thin from starvation. I'm afraid the snakeskin will be next in a few days. Well i'm gona do my best at treating this thing.
PS what is so bad about the toilet, just out or curiosity???

April
03-17-2006, 08:53 PM
discus dont fit down toilets.thats the bad thing..it will get stuck of come back up. think about it..round..doesnt fit in toilets or pirahnas mouths.
sorry to hear about your fish. but at least the suffering is over.

Jarrod
03-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Chago..sorry to hear about your fish...the method you did use was instantaneous not anyfun I know...but you did the right thing by putting it out of its misery in a fast manner.

aisarang
03-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Freezing it would've been best, i believe that is the most painless death you could've provided. Chopping it is just messy, and altogether unpleasant.

cobaltblue
03-18-2006, 04:09 AM
ANy way you do it is sad. Sorry for your loss Chago.:(

AADiscus
03-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Sorry to hear you had to cull it. It was probably best though.

chago09
03-18-2006, 10:54 AM
oh ya it was for sure for the best I actually should have done it sooner but didn't want to give up on the fish but at that point there was no turning back the fish was just floating around the tank in the current like it was a piece of debris.

barron
03-22-2006, 09:55 PM
I use a ice and water in a pail.
When the temp. drops to say 40 degrees, in they go, real fast, 2 seconds for fry. 20 or so for adults.

DiscusStudent
03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
I use a ice and water in a pail.
When the temp. drops to say 40 degrees, in they go, real fast, 2 seconds for fry. 20 or so for adults.

Do you chill the water first with ice than put the fish in or do you put the fish in the bucket with tank water than add the ice?

keno
03-23-2006, 07:56 AM
JMHO but I think clove oil is the best for this kind of situation. Sorry it has come to this Chago :(