PDA

View Full Version : 1 Gill Plate Wide open?

ronrca
11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
1 out of 9 of my discus has 1 gill plate wide open. The other gill plate is normal. Ive noticed this weeks ago and treated for gill flukes. He still has 1 gill plate open and looks like its opening more and more. I study the gill plate to 'see' anything inside but nothing. The color is blood red inside and I can see the filaments. No other symptoms from him. Eating well, not skittish, totally normal. None of the others show anything either.

Help?

Water parameters are all in check, 40% wc's daily, bb 65G tank, etc, etc.

Thanks

Andrew Soh
11-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi Ronca,

I believe it is a Bacteria gill infection and antibiotic treatment is needed...and of course ...good water management. Gill fluke infestation doesn't have such a symptom.

If you bought the discus, check with the supplier what antibiotic he uses. Choose an antibiotic of wide spectrum and not used by him for treatment. In this way, we try to lessen the possibility of resistant strain of bacteria (not 100% though).

A concoction of wide spectrum antibiotic is better.

Take care,
Andrew:angel:

ValorG
11-09-2005, 02:34 AM
I could be wrong but when my fish had this I concluded they had gill flukes or someone told me. either way i got some anti-parasitic med and it went away.

ronrca
11-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks! I'll try the antibacteria meds. I guess I didnt think that it could be a bacterical infection as none of the other discus have been affected given the duration already.

luluqin
11-10-2005, 12:42 AM
i have one discus has the same problem. both gills open. he was doing "flashing", one gill breathing, not eating and turned black and fin ray two weeks ago. i used Paraside Clear followed by Fungus Eleminator from Jungle Labs for two treatments about 12 days. now his color came back and he is eating. no flashing and fast breathing anymore, however, his gills are still opened. what shall i do next? treat him with Paraside Meds again? i changed 50% water today and filt with Carbon to remove the Med. i also put salt in. any advices for the next actions?
Lulu

Barb Newell
11-10-2005, 02:17 AM
I'd go with the Anti-Parasitic med first (Dyacide, PP, Fluke Tabs) to kill what has caused the infection.... flukes or copepods... then go with the antibacterial (Furan2) and salt.

Barb

Jason
11-10-2005, 04:07 AM
I think so too, you may have whacked the parasite but a secondary infection got into the damaged tissue.

PJs
11-10-2005, 07:15 AM
You are all much more experienced at this than me, but I can't help wonder why people keep suggesting using something for flukes when in the first post it says the fish already has been treated for flukes?

Andrew Soh
11-10-2005, 09:55 AM
You are right, PJ

Gill fluke treatment was used and did not work....I read that too....so....should not be gill fluke. Heavy gill fluke infestation usually results in both gill cover (operculum) opening and breathing heavy.

In general anti-fluke drugs also help to eliminate most other protozoans at the same time. And since it did not work, antibiotic was recommended.

So as suggested in the other forum, Ronrca can try PP treatment in place of antibiotics as a frontline treatment as the discus is still eating well. PP can eliminate external bacteria infection or other orgaisms that attack the discus externally. Only if that fails should antibiotics be used.

Take care,
Andrew:angel:

ronrca
11-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I started with the antibacteria (Bacteria Killer) treatment on Saturday with temp raised to 30d (87F). Already an improvement as the gill is now 'normal' but will continue until this Saturday.

Thank you for your help!

luluqin
11-15-2005, 11:06 AM
hi, Ronrca,

is the med you are using now called "Bacteria Killer", could you tell me what's ingredient?
many thanks ahead.

lulu

luluqin
11-18-2005, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=ronrca]I started with the antibacteria (Bacteria Killer) treatment on Saturday with temp raised to 30d (87F). Already an improvement as the gill is now 'normal' but will continue until this Saturday.

updated:
i treated with Parasite Clear(active ingredients: Praziquntel, Flubendazole, Metro, acriflavine) again. the gills still open. After giving the fish two days break, i started the Maracyn -Two(Minocycline activity) last night. so far i don't see any improvements.

Any advice? did i use the right Meds? Is anyone here know what is the drug ronrca used? Is its brand name" Bacteria Killer"? Since I havn't got anwser from ronrca from my last post, i'm asking anyone here who know to help me out.

thanks a lot.
lulu

ronrca
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry Lulu! I checked the ingredients last night and it actually does not have a list of ingredients. The brand is Huey Huey or something. If possible, try Andrew Soh advice in post #9.

luluqin
11-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry Lulu! I checked the ingredients last night and it actually does not have a list of ingredients. The brand is Huey Huey or something. If possible, try Andrew Soh advice in post #9.

hi, ronrca,
i found out the Med u used call Huey Hung. it made in Taiwan. where did you get from? in U.S.? or from Mr.Soh since he can get this Meds in Singapore.

Anyway thank you for the info. Since no way i can get the info of the ingredients(i checked their website, can't find the ingredients), i just have to try the Meds in hand now.

Thank you again.
lulu