PDA

View Full Version : How long will bacteria hold in a filter?

billeagan
03-20-2005, 12:51 PM
As I start with my breeding and importing efforts I had some new electrical lines run.

However, my panel is filled now and I need to make the decision to go to 100 amp or 200 amp service. In any case, I need a new panel.

How long can my filters go without electricity ? I can wrap the tanks in blankets to keep them warm, etc. But, I worry about the filters.

I keep 100 gallons of R/O water on hand aerated and heated.

Thx
Bill

Carol_Roberts
03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
IF you are talking about aqua clear sponges or bio wheel you can throw them in the tank and the bio will live for days. I'd rinse the sponges really good first in dechlorinated water. Hang on the back filters bacteria can live in the filter for at least 24 hours if you keep it wet. Canister filter's media dies very quickly - couple of hours.

Cosmo
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking couple of hours would be pushing the envelope for cannister bacteria cultures..

Greg Richardson
03-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Maybe you could borrow a generator for that short of time and plug directly into it while panel being changed.

Jeff_NZ
03-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Sorry just a question for Carol or cosmo, why is it that bacteria in a canister will die of so much quicker than in a hang on filter?

Is it because of the lack of oxygen?

ta
Jeff

Cosmo
03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Right Jeff,

In a cannister filter, the media is in a closed container with a very limited supply of water - translating to a limited supply of oxygen at any one given time. Cannisters require a constant flow thru in order to provide fresh oxygenated water to the bacteria cultures. When the pump and water flow stops, the oxygen supply is limited to whatever volume of water is in the cannister at that time, so once the oxygen is depleted, the colonies begin to die off, and as they die they create toxins that speed the die off of other colonies.

On the other hand, sponges and bio wheels that you drop into a tank remain exposed to a vastly larger pool of oxygenated water, and a considerable supply of food.

In the aquarium, surface gas exchange can continue, which is why a battery operated airpump will come in handy, while in the cannister there is no such possibility.

If you're home, or if it's planned to shut off the power.. would think opening the cannister and putting the media into a container that you could pour tank water over occassionally , or, putting it into a large media bag and into the aquarium should help prolong the lifespan

good question
Jim

RED DISCUS
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Any body try this one ? it is very good for your fish tank,you will see the result in couple day.Water will clear like R/O water
http://www.tsekoi.com/water_conditioners/microbe_lift.html