PDA

View Full Version : Reason to be Concerned ??

Cosmo
03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
I've noticed the top on my acrylic 180 gal tank has bowed upward slightly on one end where the opening is. Also, on the same end, I'm starting to see little "spider web" "cracks" in the front/side seam that I'm thinking is the glue starting to let go. The spiderwebs run just under 1/4 of the thickness of the acrylic walls...Tank is about a year old so I'm calling the people I got it from tomorrow, but was wondering.... could this just let go and split on me :( ???

Anyone with acrylic tanks have this sort of problem develop? and if so, what was the result?

gulp

Jim

Sergey
03-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi Jim,

Just to be on the safe side, can you drain at least some water?

Sergey.

Cosmo
03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi Sergey,

I have dropped it down some but if I go too low the spraybars make too much noise for me to sleep. It's been this way for about a week or so.. unchanged so I've been thinking it'll hold... but there's that fear in the back of my mind that one day it just might... POP... and let go :( Damage to the house would be substantial, but worse yet... I might lose some or all of my fish :( :( :(

I'll see what they say where I bought it.. hopefully there's a years warranty and I can get it replaced free.... would hate to have to buy a new one :) lol .. seriously, don't need the expense, but... this would probably be safe enough downstairs in the fishroom... don't ya think? :D

Have you ever had this problem and it popped, or know anyone who has??

Will have to start transferring some fish back downstairs this weekend to play safe I think..

anyone else ?

Thanks
Jim

Sergey
03-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Jim, I've only had old metal frame type tanks leak on me, but I don't have any experience with acrylic tanks popping. If it's been stable for a week and you drained some water, there's a good chance it's going to stay that way. Keep us posted!

Sergey.

Cosmo
03-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Thought this would be good to post in case anyone else runs into this situation..

Called the people I bought the tank from and was told that the spiderwebbing I have isn't unusual, and, it's inside the acrylic, not in the glue or seam. There's even a name for it... spackling, or crackling, or something like that. Nothing to worry about and this is not indicative that the tank may burst open..

On the other hand, he found the upwards warp on the top piece a little unusual as that normally occurs when people use hi wattage lights (heat) .. I use 2 - 30 watt 50/50's only.

To play safe, he called the manufactuer who confirmed that the spiderwebbing wasn't anyting to be concerned about (I may be the only person who looks close enough to see it anyway :) ) and that the top warping wasn't a concern either... UNLESS... a crack started developing at the corner of the access hole. These cracks can apparently spread across the top and then down the sides.. which isn't good :(

In the event a crack were to start, which is probably unlikely, they said to drill a small hole at the end of the crack, the round hole will stop th crack from travelling any further.... and then... to give them a call :)

So, apparently nothing to worry about. Anything goes wrong, you all will be the second ones to know :D (not including me)

Jim

April
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
hi there. my top bows upward a bit..been about 4 years now..all fine. but..no spiderwebbing..mine are tru vu. all plexi tanks are not created equally.
i did however buy one..from a buy and sell paper someone made..and that was a disaster!! it starting bowing outward in the front..and back..and..the lid was bent in half from the heat of the water..i had to drain it and then..sell it for a snake. never again.
tru vu are guaranteed i believe..i have another one thats not tru vu its cloudy. but ok for fry. some the glass yellows or gets cloudy.

Cosmo
03-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Hi April,

Mine are made by Innovative Plastics.. don't know if they use any other name or not. I have two tanks from them, a 90 and the 180. The 90 is 3 years old now and like brand new :) and like I said, the spiderwebbing is so small I'm probably the only one who would ever see it... Not familiar with Tru Vu, only other brand I've seen around here is Crystal Clear.

I'm actually very happy with the tank, just wanted to make sure nothing serious was amiss :D

Jim

April
03-10-2005, 10:35 PM
hi. i love my plexi tanks.i have all plexis mostly. i have 2 100s and a 60 and a 40 and want more of course..lol. they are so easy to move around. i can move a 100 gallon on my own. : ) and..dont have to buy a canopy..
tru vu comes from california.

Cosmo
03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Have to agree w/ you April... my wife and I can easily move the 180... don't think we'd be able to even move a glass one :D Not only that, but the thermal properties are something like 17 times greater than glass so you use less electricity keep em up to temp :)
Jim