PDA

View Full Version : Bloated Fish

iceskater
10-14-2004, 06:44 PM
I noticed my blue panda was not eating yesterday and also noticed some rather large feces in the tank so I treated with epsom salt. Today I was looking closely at it and noticed the stomach area is very very swollen, I would say about 1/2 inch or so wide. Nothing else seems wrong color good breathing seems ok. Is hovering alot but that is somewhat normal. I treated again with epsom salt.

Is there anything else I can do.

Silly question, could this be fry in the stomach??? That is what it looks like someone pregnant.

Thanks Karen

ronrca
10-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Tell us about your feeding routine! What are you feeding and how many times a day! ;)

Patience is a virtue!

iceskater
10-14-2004, 07:34 PM
My fish are fed about 5-6 times per day. Color bits, brine shrimp, bloodworms and ONF1. The bloated fish is about 8 months old.

Change water every other day 50%. And do a few bucket water change on the alternate days. 6 fish in a 55g. Had some mystery illness kill 3 other fish a few months ago. One suddenly, other had problem staying upright, and I culled one because it had advanced hex, i think, was a runt and never seemed right.

If you need anything else let me know.

CARY_GLdiscus
10-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Try some EM sounds like internal bacteria to me ;)

Gld!

Cosmo
10-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey Cary,

I read a lot about Furan2 on the forum as one of the main meds people keep on hand.. I've used it as well with great results, but, every now and then EM comes up..

Was wondering what particular symptons would indicate treatment with EM vs Furan2 or another antibiotic??

Jim

iceskater
10-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Cary what is EM ? Can I treat the tank? Will it affect the filter

Thanks Karen

Carol_Roberts
10-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Erythromycin is for internal infection. Furan II is more for external bacteria

BGTW
10-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Yes, EM will screw your filter bad.

Meanwhile, remove the filter. Sterilize it.

Bob

Carol_Roberts
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
I dona't see any need to sterilize your filter. Only two fish in teh tank are under the weather.

iceskater
10-15-2004, 06:17 PM
I have moved 2 fish to the hospital tank and treated with EM about 4 hours ago, both are stuck together just sitting there. Tried to tempt them with a few flakes did not see either of them go for it.

The bloated fish seems more bloated today and I think it also has popped out eyes, Does this match the match bloated condition.

When can I expect to see condition improvement. Of course I had hoped the swelling was down already but do not think I am being realistic.

Thanks, sure this should be under illness but I tend to just think of this topic when I post.

Carol_Roberts
10-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I would not try to feed them right now. Maybe one feeding per day. Internal bacterialinfections arevery hard to treat - it may take several days to see improvement . . . if there is any :-\