PDA

View Full Version : Southern California Discus owners

suki243
06-24-2004, 02:16 AM
I wanted to ask a quick question i was wondering if anyone new about a good discus retailer in so cal. i know there is online shops but i want to go to a shop.

allan_mark76
06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
If you live in So. Cal. you have to visit Jeff Young at www.Discusfarm.us. He's a very informative person with excellent quality on hand. He's located in LA just north of Anaheim.

I myself am located in San Diego, Cal.

There's a lot of hobbyists in So Cal.

:lurk:

wall_o_fish
06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
I bought some discus from someone out of state and regret now that I didn't go to Jeff Young, as recommended above. I had a very negative experience with a dishonest discus dealer. Just knowing that a discus dealer is going to be honest with you us huge. Jeff Young. Go to him.

vickie s
06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
suki243,
Most of my discus are from Jeff. They are beautiful and healthy.

I just started this hobby last October with some fish from a local fish store, just to see if I could keep discus (3 of the 4 are still alive thanks to the help on this board). They try very hard to bring in good fish but the discus are not that great and are expensive.

I then bought fish from Jeff in November. His fish are larger than the LFS fish, grew better and are nicer all around. All but one of Jeff's fish have reached a nice size and were transfered to my 125 planted tank, and the last blue diamond will go there soon. Jeff's fish are perfect for the beginner (likd me) because they are still young enough to grow out, but old enough to see the quality of shape and color.

I also got 3 of Jeff's golden pigeons that were sub adult a couple months ago, as well as a VR and PM from another hobbiest (who had bought them from Jeff). I have 3 snow whites from Lauro (hobbiest/importer) in Orange County that mostly specializes in raising flower horns. I felt I was ready to try raising smaller fish.

Call Jeff to see when he will have fish in, and go visit him. He also has a beginner package that is a good deal and includes a discount for additional fish purchased with the package.
hth,
vickie

Cosmo
06-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey Wall_o_fish - Please identify the dishonest dealer you had a problem with so the rest of us know to avoid him/her

allan_mark76
06-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey Wall_o_fish - Please identify the dishonest dealer you had a problem with so the rest of us know to avoid him/her.

Just PM me the person so I can avoid them...

:lurk:

wall_o_fish
06-26-2004, 12:22 AM
If you do a search on my posts, you'll be able to see from whom i bought them. The dealer ISN'T in SoCal though.

scott

suki243
06-26-2004, 03:39 PM
thank you all for the replies and i'll try Jeff's site a dealer in so cal that i am currently dealing with is Pet Emporium in Burbank i like the place, very reasonable, the only problem is that since it is such a small store they dont have much variety and i think that the guy is trying to sell me a species that is not really a species like for example these fish looked like they were red turquiose but the guy said they were leopards and that the lines will disapear forming into spots i was like ..ok.

Another place i dont like is scales and tales in burbank, Beautiful fish, they have blue pandas and all that great stuff and are very healthy but also very very overpriced, i was talking to this one guy that sold them his discus and he said he sold them for 40 $ each but they were selling them for 60 $ each, maybe the treatment was expensive or something but 20 $ is alot. This is from my experience, but if u can afford them sure buy from them, they have very healthy fish.