PDA

View Full Version : convert to other than bmp?

SSrowr
04-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Can any one tell me how to convert an image that is bmp to GIF, PNG, or JPG?

For that matter, how you resize a picture? For example if a limit to post a pic is idk, 100k, and your pic is 200, how can u change it?

Thanks-
Seth

GulfCoastDiscus
04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
To reduce the photo you can use Adobe Photoshop. To view or convert images, I use Acdsee. Have you tried renaming your pics by just changing the extension.

Dan

Kagan
04-27-2004, 08:12 AM
I would also recommend ACD Foto Canvas. Very practical, very effective.

Kagan

kjmillerfw
04-27-2004, 06:01 PM
If you are on Windows XP you can save the .bmp files as .jpg and use Microsoft Photo Editor to resize the photos.

Otherwise, almost any digital camera software will let you do those simple tasks. Adobe Photoshop is really expensive but will do this and much much more. I'm sure there are lots of other ways.

There's also some online photo services such as http://www.snapfish.com/ that are free and easy to use.

Kathy

Wahter
04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
You can also checkout some of the downloadable image editing programs here:

http://download.com.com/3150-2192-0.html?tag=dir

SSrowr
04-27-2004, 11:45 PM
thanks alot; i think i've now got it... sort of...

RAWesolowski
04-28-2004, 08:53 PM
If you have Windows XP or 2000:

Resize Picture
1. Place picture file on your desktop or find in your directory,
2. Right click on the picture file,
3. Choose "Resize" from the pop-up menu.

The "new" resized picture will be given a new name when you save it.

Convert bmp (bitmap) file:
1. Place picture file on your desktop or find in your directory,
2. Right click on the picture file,
3. Choose "open" from the pop-up menu,
4. In the program that opens the picture choose "File" from the title bar at the top of the screen,
5. Choose "Save As" from the menu.
6. At the bottom of the gray box that pops up will be a small white box that indicates a bitmap (*.bmp) file, click on the down arrow and choose your picture file type, then hit save.

Note: An asterisk (*) in front of a file type such as *.bmp is a "wild card". It means "all files of this type". A JPG is a "compressed" file, it will be considerably smaller than a bitmap or a gif file. Unlike a gif file it generally cannot be animated.