PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus?

fishkid26
09-10-2003, 07:09 PM
i have a discus that is pooping white. the poop is a solid white and not stringy. The fish acts normally and eats normally. The temp is 86 and the ph is 6.6. All the other discus in the tank have normal poop. Is the discus sick and is there anything i can do?

Tristanyyz
09-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Wait and see.

If the fish is acting normal, not hidding or turning dark, darting around the tank, I think he is likely ok.

Especially if he is eating normally. Wait and see if it happens again, or if his poop returns to normal colour, (bright green)...just kidding. :P

If the poop becomes more slimmy then its likely Hexamita. Often just observation is the key, watch them, and make sure your water quality is excellent. Lots of 24hour airiated and heated daily water changes. Water with the same temperature, and the same stable ph.

Go out and buy an accurate digital thermometer, incase you need to raise the tank temperature in the future. Raising tank temperatures to 33C (not higher! hence the accurate thermometer) and adding salt, can kill most things that attack your fish. Also when treating with Metronidozole its better to raise the temperature.
Regards,
M