PDA

View Full Version : how to safely remove paint from an acrylic tank

henryD
08-28-2003, 09:38 AM
I am picking up 12 55gallon acrylic tanks. They are used. The bottom of the tanks have been painted black. I want to repaint them in a light color.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing paint on acrylic tanks? I would try the razor blade method but that would scratch the plastic. Has anyone tried anything else?

jeep
08-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Hi Henry,

I don't think there would be a way to remove the paint without doing some sort of damage to the acrylic. Scraping may leave deep gouges and a chemicle solvent may compromise the welded seam.

I would sand the paint off, using emry cloth and water (as a lub). You will have fine scratches but the paint will fill the scratches and they won't show. Try first sanding with 220 to remove the paint and and work your way up to 600+ to remove larger scratches. This type of sand paper can be found in an auto paint shop.

If you try this, I would do one tank first and check the results.

Brian

aix
08-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Acrylic(PMMA) can stand many chemicals. But paint solvents probably damage it (avoid acetone). Safest way would be to use spirit since it leaves no trace which could harm the fish later. If spirit does not help then perhaps you have a friend who is a sign maker. Screen printers use a special solvent that removes the paint but does not damage acrylic. But I do not know about silicone (I deal with acrylic every day but see silicone only in my aquarium 8))

08-28-2003, 10:19 AM
try soaking a towel in hot water and then applying it to the paint(meaning leave it on the area covered in paint for an extended period of time-when it cooks, apply another)....do this a couple times and then see if you can peel the paint off...it's worked for me on glass, depending on the type of paint...
david

Jeff
08-28-2003, 01:22 PM
I used goof off. I know paul used acetone with no problems. ;)

mutfish
08-28-2003, 02:02 PM
There are some citrus based paint strippers on the market that may fit your bill...read the label first of course... 8)

MUT(first do no harm)FISH

henryD
08-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Alright jeff,

Where can I get goof off...and is that a real product? Nice marketing if it is...

Jeff
08-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Yes that is the name of it and it is at Home Depot.

Paulio
08-28-2003, 03:06 PM
I have used "Goof off" on Acrlic and it does a pretty good job. I does leave some swirling marks on it when you are all done but if you intend to paint with a different color you should be fine.

Paul

P.S. Ventilation is important and it leaves an oily residue.

Jeff
08-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Yes Paulio is right ventilation is important and rinse well.

henryD
08-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Ok here is the practical side of me speaking.....(do discus keepers have a practical side).

Let's say for whatever reason I had to get rid of my tanks...I don't want a couple of swirls marks to prevent that.

So is there a product that remove the paint without leaving any marks on the acrylics?

yogi
08-28-2003, 09:57 PM
I used goof off to remove paint from acrylic. It was mentioned by Jeff Doty about a year ago and it works. It will also take some work on your part.

Scratches or swirls can be removed from acrlic. You use sandpaper but you don't just use it on the scratch but the whole part of the tank. You go horizontaly only. Start with 200 or 400 grit. Keep increasing grit all the way to 2000. This info was given to me from Sea Scope.