PDA

View Full Version : Who Uses Carbon in their Filtration?

Mr.Trips
04-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Ok Folks, Ive heard both good and bad about using carbon. Here is a way to find out who does what without embarrasing themselves!

Tony
04-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I've just voted that I use carbon.
I mean I used to use carbon in my gf and tropical tank. ( I've not used it lately since I run out... )
I do not use it in discus tank.

It biased the statistic quite substantially, sorry

Mr.Trips
04-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Well at least your honest! Thanks!

THEDISCUSGUY
04-07-2003, 07:50 AM
hey all
well i use it in all my tanks because i have a plant in them jsut for some protection something to hide behind but for my breeders i dont bother puttin it in..
dale

DarkDiscus
04-07-2003, 09:36 AM
I was a long time carbon user. I ALWAYS used carbon in all of my filters, box, power, cannister, whatever.

When I started with discus I decided that due to the massive w/c carbon was not needed. My fish did very well and I only used carbon twice - to take out some meds and to help with a cloudy water/bacterial bloom I had. Because I didn't use carbon with the discus and they did so well, I decided that I'd stop using it in my tank w/ my Nicaraguan cichlids. I only do a 50% w/c once a week in that tank. The only changes without the carbon is that the water is a little darker from some leeching of the driftwood and some old hole in the head wounds on one of the fish cleared up completely.

I don't see a need for it, except to remove meds or short term for specific reasons.

John

Smokey
04-07-2003, 12:15 PM
I stopped using carbon so long ago I forget!!!
I did use it for chlorine removal, the r/o uinit - but I have stopped using the r/o unit. so no more carbon...what a cost saving...
Discus love peat flavoured water!!!
Smokey

Rod
04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

The only changes without the carbon is that the water is a little darker from some leeching of the driftwood and some old hole in the head wounds on one of the fish cleared up completely.

Can anyone tell me why the holes in John's fishs' head cleared up after he removed the carbon?? I have also noticed a tendency for discus to get craters whenever carbon is used long term in the filter.

April
04-07-2003, 08:17 PM
NO idea ...but ive heard this before that if carbon used all the time.that people have gotten hith.
one reason not to use it.id say.

iceskater
04-08-2003, 11:18 AM
I am new to Discus and have a question. If you have a whisper filter do you just not insert the carbon filter bag and only run the sponge? Or would you replace it with some other type of filter bag?

slicksta
04-08-2003, 11:40 AM
I use it all the time but use less than the amount recommended.
In my discus tank I use 1/4 the amount to polish and I can see the difference in water clarity if I don't use it.
In my African tank I use 1/2 the amount.......
............ to date I have not had a single case of HITH.....

and yes I would fill in any not used filter space with foam or bio......

Mr.Trips
04-08-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi Ice, I know what you mean. I think some folks put in some type of foam insert. Me I use the carbon filter combo, I change the filters problabley once a week anyway. And my bio wheels take care of the benifical bacteria, so................