PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Saltwater

NickK
12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
OK, you guys are killing me....I added a 29 gal tank yesterday, and then you told me it was too small ("Go buy a 55") Well, to my saltwater fishes dismay, my girlfriend said "why don't you get rid of your saltwater fish and use that 55". I don't know why I didn't think of that. I had to add the 29 because the 37 wasn't enough. The funniest thing....I don't even own 1 discus yet. The 37 is still cycling!

OK, here it is. My saltwater tank has an Eheim 2227 wet/dry filter, Emperor 400, protein skimmer, and a large powerhead. When I convert the tank tomorrow, what should I keep for filtration? Can I still use the wet/dry? Can I use the same substrate if I dry it out? Please help :)

Nick

Richman
12-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Keep the wet dry and the 400. Protein skimmer won't be necessary. I am a firm believer in extra filtration. Too much is not enough. Actually either one would probably do fine by itself, but I always keep extra filtration on all my tanks. Gives me the option of cycled filters which I can use to set up another tank at a moment notice. I currently have a 55 with two Emperor 400's. Water stays clear as glass. But I can pull one off instantly and still have adequate filtration. My policy is to never keep a filter in a box. Anywhere it is set up it is doing good.

12-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Remove the Wet/Dry filter immediately and ship it to me. It will do you no good at all.... ;)

NickK
12-09-2002, 11:03 PM
Will the discus mind the current when the wet/dry pumps the water back into the tank?

Also, should I get an hydro-sponge for the powerhead? Too much current? Too much filtration?

Richman
12-09-2002, 11:17 PM
I have a 100 gallon with two 400's and a Magnum 350, all running full blast. I have a flow diverter on the magnum so that the current runs across the top of the water. Never noticed any problems with current. However, I would make sure that the flow is directed in such a way that the fish always have a calm spot. Then they can chose where they want to be. Some don't like current, but I am convinced that sometimes my fish play in it and enjoy it.

Carol_Roberts
12-10-2002, 03:17 AM
Your substrate will probably raise pH as it may contain shell fragments (calcium).

It's best to grow juveniles out in a bare bottom tank. Then you can feed them heavily while having the abilty to keep the tank sparkling clean.

Putting prefilter sponges on the intakes of your filters will sesrve two purposes. It will trap food and feces so it doesn't enter your filters AND it will slow the currrent somewhat.

CArol:heart1:

Aquarius
12-10-2002, 09:30 AM
I used the same Wet/dry for almost a year, not a problem.
As pointed out, I'd replace the substrate.

DarkDiscus
12-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Nick,

Wise choice! That tank will be great for discus! My suggestions:

1.) Break down the tank, remove substrate.
2.) Give the tank a nice rinsing with bleach and dry it out.
3.) Thoroughly clean the eheim. I am NOT a fan of canister filters, but it works and you have it already, so use it!
4.) Read lots and lots about discus.
5.) Set up your tank in barebottom mode and get it cycling.
6.) Start picking discus.

If you want to get 2 pairs of 2 different species, my suggestion would be this: Buy 6 - 8 fish of the strain you like the best. Grow them out in your 55 gallon. As they pair off you can keep one pair and sell the others to a LFS. Put the pair in your 29 gallon. Get 6-8 fish of your 2nd favorite strain. Repeat the process!

Good luck!

John

ChloroPhil
12-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Go to your local garden store and get some clay pots then go to your LFS get some Amazon Swords and put them in your tank too. :)

NickK
12-10-2002, 03:44 PM
OK, how can I kill everything in the tank......algae and millions of microorganisms? How do I clean it after that to get ready for discus?

Mike_T
12-10-2002, 03:52 PM
You can start by sending me the live rock....I've converted a couple salt tanks to discus, but I'm still holding on to my ocellaris clowns.

Mike T 8)

Ryan
12-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Nick,

A 1:10 bleach/water solution should kill most everything in the tank. This is what I use when cleaning out aquariums or equipment (nets, filters, hoses). I normally just rinse the tank out, then flush with fresh water until the bleach smell is gone. I've also heard that it's good to let the tank dry completely. If you still are worried about leftover bleach, you can add a dechlor.

I'd recommend a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, those seem easiest. As mentioned before, it's generally a good idea to raise juvie discus in bare-bottom tanks with no substrate. It will make your life easier with all those water changes. It takes me about 2 minutes to siphon off the bottom of a bare-bottom 55 gallon, whereas with gravel you will be cleaning forever.

Ryan

NickK
12-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Do I need to buy more Eheim substrate for the wet/dry, or can I dry out the old stuff and reuse it?