PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

LastSamuRy
04-04-2021, 09:40 PM
So I just picked up a 75g and I purchased an fx6. I know that it could probably handle the bioload by itsself but was thinking about getting a second filter just for extra help. Was thinking of a polar aurora filter. Any thoughts?

bluelagoon
04-05-2021, 08:10 AM
A FX6 would be too much flow for a 4 foot tank and and discus in a standard 75 gal. I can picture in my mind that it would look more like a salt water tank flow.

dornblaser
04-05-2021, 09:25 AM
I run two SunSun HW-3000 on my 75-gallon tank for redundancy and more biological media, most filters have adjustable flows so you should be able to dial in your FX6 but that is a beast of a filter.

BrendanJ23
04-07-2021, 06:00 AM
So I just picked up a 75g and I purchased an fx6. I know that it could probably handle the bioload by itsself but was thinking about getting a second filter just for extra help. Was thinking of a polar aurora filter. Any thoughts?

You could run both, just dial the flow back via the valves. Just be sure to do this per Fluval instructions.

bluelagoon
04-07-2021, 06:49 AM
You could run 4, but a FX6 is a bit over kill for a 75 gal. I have one one 6 foot 125 gal and it does a good job and plenty of flow for the whole tank.

seanyuki
04-07-2021, 07:09 AM
I use an Aquaclear 110 for 75 gallons tanks.

bluelagoon
04-08-2021, 08:10 AM
I have a few of those ac110's. The best and simplest filter ever made.

Moreetta
04-08-2021, 11:19 PM
I have a few of those ac110's. The best and simplest filter ever made.

I agree with this. Not much to worry about, it's amazing.

number1sixerfan
04-08-2021, 11:43 PM
FX6 can be fine on the tank, but in a 75g I would only add another, smaller hang on the back. I have an FX6 on a 90g, which is similar, and it's just fine. And that's with another eheim canister. The FX6 flow can be severely reduced by the flow dial on the top of the canister and by how you position the outlets (mine point toward the surface which agitates the surface and diverts the flow a bit). I have both it and the eheim on the lowest flow setting, aimed in the same direction. No problems.

On a 75 though, I probably wouldn't add another canister. Probably only a HOB.. but honestly, you don't need to. I would maybe just buy one to have on hand in case the FX6 ever dies.

Shan_Evolved
04-09-2021, 07:38 AM
I use an Aquaclear 110 for 75 gallons tanks.

Wow franky that setup looks fantastic

Iminit
04-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Yes Francis great looking setup!! But the chair does need a little help! Maybe a recliner?

Iminit
04-09-2021, 09:03 AM
I’ve got the fx6 on my 125 and it does seem like enough. I do use a second filter. A odyssea 350. This is a powerhead with 2 sponges. But just for a backup filter. For a 75 it’s a lot. I too would go with an fx4. Actually I’d go with 2 hob filters. On my 90g I use a tidal 110 and a marineland 350 and it’s more than enough.

bluelagoon
04-09-2021, 10:33 AM
Plus I don't see why you would want to turn the flow back. Filters are rated by how much turn over is needed for the size tank being used on. Kind of redundant I would think. But still a bit bigger than is better than too small, is still the best way to go. Sometimes I find some filters are over rated from my experience with different bands. As long as you have plenty of flow at the surface to make surface area bigger that's all you need along with turn over. Some folks use air stones to achieve this to expanded surface area, which is needed for gas exchange which happens at the surface from barometric pressure. Not from the filters themselves; they need the oxygen for the BB to thrive. That's why turn over is import.

number1sixerfan
04-10-2021, 02:28 AM
Plus I don't see why you would want to turn the flow back. Filters are rated by how much turn over is needed for the size tank being used on. Kind of redundant I would think.

Almost all filters are overrated, and you tweak a variable or two and it's all customizable. I wouldn't buy a FX6 for a 75g tank, but if he already has it (which it sounds like) and can't return it.. there's definitely no reason to forgo using it. But as I said before, there's definitely no need for an additional filter however.

Iminit
04-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Just for the record the fx6 is for a 400g tank and moves close to 1000 gph. The fx4 is for a 250g and moves 700gph. These filters were made for bigger tanks. I don’t know if the rated flow rate is with or without media. But it really is overkill on a 75.

number1sixerfan
04-10-2021, 06:08 PM
I really think people are missing the point here lol. He ALREADY has it. We know it's overkill, we know it's not needed.

To the OP. If you can and want to take it back, great--that would be ideal (for a HOB, smaller canister or FX4) If not, I am guaranteeing you can use it just fine as I mentioned above. I have used one on my 90g which is pretty much the same footprint with only 15g more of water for 4-5 years without a single issue.. with discus, community tanks and African cichlid tanks. Again, if you can return it and it's not a hassle, that's totally up to you. But if not, you can use it just fine. Hell, I've used an eheim 4+ canister beside it for the past 2 or so years, and again.. Not a single issue.

14Discus
04-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Wow franky that setup looks fantastic

I use two AC 110s in my 75g and two AC 110s in my 60g tank. Each tank also has a sump as well.

LastSamuRy
04-11-2021, 05:20 PM
I do already have it. I didnt purchase another filter. Its rated for almost 1000 gph but from what I understand by the time you add media and then take into consideration how far it travels to get to tank, its really only about half of what is stated. Thats what I've gathered from a ton of guys like kingofdiy, pondguru, and a bunch others.

plump
05-02-2021, 09:47 AM
For that 75g tank with an Fx6 I would add three sponge filters and a 50 gallon sump. Just to be safe.

LastSamuRy
05-06-2021, 08:23 AM
For that 75g tank with an Fx6 I would add three sponge filters and a 50 gallon sump. Just to be safe.

Being a smart aleck definitely helps people.

SpeedDiscus
05-08-2021, 12:37 PM
I appreciate strong filtration as well but I would downsize the filter and use the extra cash for more fish or other equipment.

The FX6 definitely won’t hurt but just a bit of overkill.

LizStreithorst
05-08-2021, 09:00 PM
You could always put a small sponge filter in the tank. If you ever needed to QT a fish you would have a completely cycled filter to add to the QT tank. I know that I'm not the only one here who has shipped an emergency cycled filter to a member in heed.

14Discus
05-08-2021, 09:11 PM
Another advantage to sumps is that one can put a sponge filter in the sump and pull it out when needed for QT or a hospital tank. Each of my sumps has a sponge filter in it for when the need arises.

Charlyc11
11-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Hate to reply to an old topic but I have a FX4 for my 75 and the flow was too much but I did not want to restrict the GPM so I install the flow tamer and it works great. Also the FX filters have a utility valve and when you hard pipe it you can make water changes easy.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fx+tamer&ref=nb_sb_noss

The tank on the right has the flow tamer as you can see it has a spray bar along the top and a pre filter on the intake. Tank on the left still need the flow tamer.

Willie
11-15-2021, 05:33 PM
Discus tanks on hard wood floors - you must be really good with water changes! ;)

Charlyc11
11-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Life proof all vinyl (PVC core)planks best flooring I have ever bought 100% waterproof and look great (Home Depot).
They are thick planks and holdup to spills and 4 active dogs. I did the whole basement an half of the 1st floor.

Flow Tamer
11-15-2021, 09:43 PM
Nice Floor Carlos! Thanks for the plug! I use FX6's on 75's all the time with my spray bars, all described options will work. I have alot of customers using my spray bars for Fancy Goldfish and Angels and folks that don't want their plants waving all over the place. A number of customers have been putting FX filters on 55's and turning the spray bar to the rear of the tank, properly angled the surface agitation is excellent and the flow adequately squashed without touching the aquastop valve to turn the filter down. Spray bars give you options contingent on your needs/stock/set-up. I thought l might not sell many bars to folks keeping planted tanks due to C02 being gassed off, but l followed some of their posts on The Planted Tank forum and if you position it properly that doesn't happen and they claimed ferts and CO2 were nicely distributed.

LizStreithorst
11-16-2021, 04:05 PM
Don't change your floor please, Carlos. Just remember that you have to be very careful with WC. Your fish room is lovely. I like the stand best. I really like the sliding doors on what appears to be a simple rustic design. Now all you need to do is make stands for the tanks on the metal stand. ;)

Flow Tamer
11-16-2021, 09:36 PM
I agree with Liz Carlos and l'm jealous of Sean's fish room too! And EVERYTHING about Aquaclear 110's is awesome, l have 4 of them myself!