PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Question

discusmat
09-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a question about filtration.
is it ok to use bio media out of an established tank that through the years has to deal with some fish diseases?
I wanted to start another tank and use some bio media out of the tank to seed it, but then I started thinking if
this is ok. There is no problems in the big tank now, and hasn't had any issues in a while, so is this ok?
Thank you for any input on this.

Willie
09-23-2020, 03:48 PM
I'm sure that some will disagree with my perspective, but I only worry about discus and angelfish disease. I don't see disease transmission from Corydoras, tetras, Plecostamus, dwarf cichlids to discus. (Just like I stay away from sick people, but not sick dogs, cats, etc.) I keep seeded sponge filters in my livebearer and Plecostamus tanks. When I need a new filter for discus, I just pull sponge from these tanks for immediate cycling.

danotaylor
09-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Willie is on a roll today...I love when proven experience is shared. Hear hear! :thumbsup:

I used mature filter media from an african cichlid tank to start my discus tank...no probs at all.

Vinni Smith
09-23-2020, 10:14 PM
I agree with Willie on this one.
I don't know why, but disease seems to be spread by the same species.
SEEMS to be.
I could be wrong.
All my experience sure tells me that though.

Just my 1 cents...

V

BrendanJ23
09-24-2020, 12:52 AM
I'm sure that some will disagree with my perspective, but I only worry about discus and angelfish disease. I don't see disease transmission from Corydoras, tetras, Plecostamus, dwarf cichlids to discus. (Just like I stay away from sick people, but not sick dogs, cats, etc.) I keep seeded sponge filters in my livebearer and Plecostamus tanks. When I need a new filter for discus, I just pull sponge from these tanks for immediate cycling.

Interesting. Does this mean tetras for example, would not need QT before adding to a discus tank?

Edit: just thought I’d add, this is genuine curiosity and not doubting you..

dspeers
09-24-2020, 07:24 AM
From an infectious disease standpoint, do not feel like that is a valid conclusion. When you use an established filter in a new tank that filter comes from a system which you have in essence "quarantined" because you have had that tank under observation for a prolonged period. The same cannot be said for new fish, they may look good today but how will they look in 4-6 weeks.

CliffsDiscus
09-24-2020, 07:10 PM
I switch sponges for my homebred fish but for my outside aquarium maintenance business I use Quick-Start or Cycle.

Cliff

discusmat
09-24-2020, 09:21 PM
Makes sense to me, Thank you. I need to get sponge filter going just for these situations.